Mouse problem with XP

ZBQW 18:28 22 Jan 2003
  ZBQW 18:28 22 Jan 2003

Since I installed XP Professional on my system, I am having problems with my mouse. The cursor sometimes doesn't move as far as expected or in a jerky fashion. I have updated the driver and cleaned the usual areas inside the mouse with no effect. The problem seems worse if a program is opening, and becomes virtually uncontrollable if I use the "search" facility in Windows Explorer.

misery 19:35 22 Jan 2003

a USB mouse or PS/2? Have you checked in device manager to ensure all is OK? I use a USB optical without problem so can't really suggest much else, sorry.

ZBQW 20:42 23 Jan 2003

a PS/2 mouse. Device manager says that everything is OK. I installed a driver from the manufacturers web site, but that didn't help, and Windows reinstalled the original driver when I attempted an automatic update.

Old PC man 00:01 24 Jan 2003

If you are using a cordless mouse, try a new set of batteries.

Also you could try another mouse, (borrow one from a pal) and see if that does the same. That way you'll know whether its the mouse or the computer.

ZBQW 17:14 24 Jan 2003

I have tried a different mouse on my computer and it works OK. Unfortunately my mouse also works OK on other computers!

Old PC man 21:12 24 Jan 2003

You didn't say if it was cordless??

ZBQW 15:41 25 Jan 2003

I have given up and bought a new mouse though, a lovely 5 button one. After all, mice are cheap!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017