mouse pointer freeze

lakeman 11:52 29 Oct 2009

i know this may sound basic but i cant fathom it, i moved recently and reinstalled my desktop pc , pc boots up fine as always but the mouse pointer is stuck in the middle of the screen, tried two different mice and also a cordless, same result, running xp with 1024 ram and. cant move around as the keyboard is not working either

woodchip 12:05 29 Oct 2009

Is this USB or PS/2 mouse?

johndrew 12:12 29 Oct 2009

Have you checked Device Manager to ensure there are no problems? Look under `Mice and other pointing devices` to ensure the drivers are present. You could also check in Control Panel/Mouse to see what you have selected.

When you `tried two different mice and also a cordless` did you restart after disconnecting/reconnecting the mouse? Sometimes if you unplug a device hot it will not work and can cause damage.

johndrew 12:14 29 Oct 2009

Should be `can cause damage if it is done to a PS/2 mouse`.

lakeman 12:19 29 Oct 2009

havnt tried any remedial fixes because i cant get around the pc mouseless so to speak.tried both the older types and usb , also cordless, even checked to see if any bent pins etc on mouse plug socket ,mouse flickers occasionally as though a signal is being sent to it but it still doesnt move even briefly

woodchip 13:07 29 Oct 2009

Can you navigate with Keyboard?

woodchip 13:09 29 Oct 2009

By moving it! it sounds like its a Hardware Problem. Check All the cards plugged into Motherboard are full in with Power removed, not just switched off

lakeman 09:28 02 Nov 2009

thanks to all the suggestions, bizare though it sounds one of the memory cards wasnt seated properly causing the mouse and keyboard problems,, posted as solved thankyou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?