Mouse Not Working

Supertramp 15:16 23 Aug 2006

Just having a quite snooze on my day off when my neighbour calls round saying she is having problems with her mouse? well I have just got back in and am really baffled.

Have tried both her cabled mouse and her Logitech wireless mouse neither will work, I have tried mine also, both the same types and neither of mine will work in the computer.

Windows boots up and the pointer just will not move, the logitech has new batteries. Can anyone please advise what to try next?

She is running windows XP.

johnnyrocker 15:18 23 Aug 2006

system restore?

johnny.

DieSse 15:20 23 Aug 2006

Is the computer working at all - ie can you still use the keyboard?

Are these all PS2 mice? - perhaps the socket doesn't work any more - you can blow the input on the motherboard if you plug/unplug with the power on - it won't happen every tie, but it can and does happen. Solution - a USB mouse.

Or - if these are all USB mice, try a PS2 mouse.

Supertramp 15:20 23 Aug 2006

How? Not having XP myself how is this carried out. Thanks

Supertramp 15:24 23 Aug 2006

The PS2 mouse has a USB adaptor have tried both connectors. i.e. plug/USB and neither works. The Logitech is USB and as before no response when connected and rebooted. XP showing new hardware detected and driver installed.

johnnyrocker 15:29 23 Aug 2006

start/programs/accesories/system tools system restore when opened it will produce a calendar with highlighted dates, pick one before this happened and follow prompts, should resolve probs.

johnny.

Supertramp 15:33 23 Aug 2006

With the mouse not working which keys are used to manoeuvre.

johnnyrocker 15:57 23 Aug 2006

you should have a start button bottom left or elsewhere depending on keyboard then it is a combination of up/down/right arrows with the odd enetr used in between, just did it on my machine.

johnny.

Supertramp 16:41 23 Aug 2006

Have just got back from next door, I have installed the Logitech drivers from my CD but the mouse still refuses to work. Device manager showing mouse installed, just don't know what else to do? the pointer just will not move.

Supertramp 19:03 23 Aug 2006

Would a faulty MB be the cause of the mouse not working?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?