Mouse not responding

DIYgirl 20:02 30 May 2007

My sister's computer was very sluggish, and so yesterday I ran Avast anti-virus, and Spybot search and destroy. Avast found about ten trojans on there, all of which I deleted; Spybot found 195 items which we then deleted. I planned to clean and defrag the HDD today and install a ZoneAlarm firewall, as none was running on the computer at all.

This morning, my neices played on the computer, on the internet. Apparently all worked fine. When I later tried to use the computer the mouse would not work--it just doesn't respond at all. It's a wireless one. I've tried plugging in a wired one instead, but that makes no difference. The cursor just sits there, unmoving. I haven't tried new batteries but the mouse still has that little red light on underneath so I don't think batteries are the problem. The wireless keyboard is, however, working fine as far as I can tell with no mouse control.

Any ideas on how to make the mouse work again? Could it have been something I deleted via Avast, or is there something else that's going wrong?

Arrgghhh!

Technotiger 20:14 30 May 2007

The cursor just sits there, unmoving. I haven't tried new batteries but the mouse still has that little red light on ....

Hi, this is typical of the need for new battery. The light is only a led so hardly any battery power needed for that.

Technotiger 20:16 30 May 2007

Or - you could try the Normal mouse again, but first turn off PC, then plug in the mouse and re-start PC.

DIYgirl 20:22 30 May 2007

Thanks, I'll try both of those and let you know how I got on.

Not sure it'll be the battery, as I did try the corded mouse--but I didn't switch off and on again first, so you never know. And I'm not the most computer-literate person there is!

woodchip 20:23 30 May 2007

Or you could navigate with keyboard to Device Manager and uninstall the mouse then restart computer for it to refind mouse

DIYgirl 20:26 30 May 2007

Another good idea! Thank you. Now, how would I go about doing that on (I think) Win XP?

Technotiger 20:28 30 May 2007

The corded mouse, unless a USB mouse, is not hot-swappable - i.e. PC should be switched off first as I already said.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 30 May 2007

Change mouse batteries
press button on base of mouse
press button on HID device (mouse reciever)

woodchip 20:39 30 May 2007

You should not change any wired hardware in computer unless it's a USB item. it will blow the motherboard

woodchip 20:43 30 May 2007

To Navigat with keyboard first press the win key then use arrow key to get into control Panel\system folder then device Manager you will all so see in menu letters that are underlined pressing Alt and the letter that is underlined opens it Space bar will tick or untick a box

woodchip 20:44 30 May 2007

Do not forget the shift key to cycle through buttons and enter key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?