Mouse not responding

flobby 11:38 22 Aug 2004

Hi all, I had a problem 6 weeks ago when my mouse stopped responding and then my keyboard. (I was running XP home)I called in the experts??? and they replaced the mother board and installed XP Pro. and returned the computer. but the keyboard and mouse still did not work. They (the experts) said that it must be my keyboard and mouse fault. So I bought another keyboard and mouse. and this worked fine for 3 weeks and then the mouse stopped responding. so I bought another cheap mouse and that worked fine. BUT last night the mouse stopped responding again, I changed the mouse from PS port to USB and it is working again. Can anybody tell me what is happening and how I can prevent it So that i do not have to buy a new mouse every 3 weeks or so. Thank you

rawprawn 11:59 22 Aug 2004

Have alook in Device Manager see if there is a problem there ( Control Panel/Admin tools/Computer Management/Device Manager)

Dorsai 12:05 22 Aug 2004

If you have a USB mouse and are plugging it into a PS2 port using an adapter, this may be the cause of your problems. I have heard that these adapters can be rather flaky somtimes. I guess the same may hold tru for a USB keyboard into PS2 adapter too.

If you lack USB ports for the mouse/keyboard and your other stuff a PCI USB card or a USB hub might be called for.

Hope this helps.

flobby 12:12 22 Aug 2004

Hi again.
Gone into device manager and because the mouse is working now it is not showing anything except that it is working. and for the USB port I only used it last night for the first time.
The other keyboards and mice were all in the PS/s ports.
Cheers

flobby 17:43 22 Aug 2004

Hi, I still need HELP
Cheers

flobby 19:57 22 Aug 2004

Anybody HELP?

flobby 19:57 22 Aug 2004

Anybody HELP?

rawprawn 20:16 22 Aug 2004

Sorry I don't think I can help any more. The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall, but excuse me if you have tried that again. But if you do reinstall close all other programs and disconnect all peripherals before doing so. Good luck.

flobby 20:37 22 Aug 2004

Hi Rawprawn, and thanks for replying,
as you stated I did try to reinstall on the other occasions, but I do not have to reinstall at the moment as the mouse is working.
The problem will arise the next time the mouse does not respond.
Then whatever I do it will not work.BUT when I buy a new mouse and plug it in (even without the driver installed,as XP has its own drivers)everything is fine for at the moment 3 weeks.
Thanks again.Flobby

flobby 10:57 23 Aug 2004

Anybody HELP?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?