Mouse freezes after exactly 10 seconds

jonmac 17:00 23 Nov 2006

Suddenly today for no apparent reason my mouse began to exhibit strange behavior. If unused for exactly 10 seconds the pointer freezes and requires a left click to unfreeze it. It happens no matter what I'm running at the time.
Anyone any ideas.
Logitech cordless mouse, Windows XP SP2. I also notice while in this box typing it disappears totally.

birdface 17:44 23 Nov 2006

Nothing but trouble with Logitech mouse and keyboards since IE7 Has been downloaded,I dont know what the outcome was, But if you change to a normal mouse, The wired one, it will work till you get your problem fixed,will look about see if i can find any of the other threads that were on,

[email protected] 17:46 23 Nov 2006

Its a feature of many cordless mice to switch off after not being used for a certain amount of time to conserve the battery. Does the light on the bottom turn off too?

birdface 17:49 23 Nov 2006

Now if i remember right, You have to delete the driver that you got with the mouse, And use Windows own Driver,But I would wait and see if anyone can confirm that or not,

birdface 17:53 23 Nov 2006

Look at this click here see if you can find anything that may help, got to go ,Bye,

jonmac 18:36 23 Nov 2006

Thanks for all of you who replied. Suddenly, over dinner time, it's started working normally again. Is this a miracle....or just a temporary reprieve? (:-) I'll bear in mind all the advice though and won't download IE7 when it arrives..I use Firefox anyway.

sPiKe25 12:07 03 Dec 2006

jonmac, Windows has a built in setting that allows for the cursor to disappear whilst typing. Its quite easy to do, and I would reccomend checking this setting incase of future problems.

Click Start > Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Mouse > Click The 'Pointer Options' Tab > And uncheck 'Hide pointer while typing'

This should stop the pointer disapearing.

sPiKe25

Pineman100 12:56 03 Dec 2006

You say that suddenly, over dinner time, the mouse started working normally again. What did you feed it? Others might find this information useful.

Kingfisher 20:58 12 Jan 2007

Hi buteman,
I have a logitech cordless keyboard and mouse, and it started to lock up ever time I rebooted, spoke to logitech support who suggested the following remove batteries from mouse and leave for half an hour reboot pc and then press and hold connect button on chager for 20 secs, then replace batteries. This worked for a while then problem reoccurred, so I updated software and noticed a paragraph on update page which said Windows xp users should not use logitech mouseware and use windows generic driver, so uninstalled logitech mouseware and have had no problems since. for your info logitech tech support number is 02073090126
hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires