Mountmgr.sys help

Sidetrax 21:20 27 Jan 2006

Ive got a old hard drve and im trying to wipe it and install Windows XP on it, but when I boot from the CD after a while it says

" File mountmgr.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 5882 in D:/XPclient/base/boot/setup/setup.C.

Press any key to continue"

And when I press anything it says that the installation had failed and it restarts my PC

Whats the problem and how can I fix it?
Cheers

woodchip 21:27 27 Jan 2006

Use this first, it's free click here

Sidetrax 18:38 29 Jan 2006

Ok well, ive tried that and Ive wiped it, but when I put the Windows CD in after a while it says the same thing.

How can I install windows?
Cheers

woodchip 18:41 29 Jan 2006

It must be your old Hardware

Sidetrax 18:44 29 Jan 2006

well, first I tried the Win CD with my 200GB HDD to wipe it, and I would copy my 40GB one to it using something true image, and ive done that.
now Ive wiped the 40GB one and I want to install windows on it to start again.

Sidetrax 18:58 29 Jan 2006

I found this
click here
Would that help?

woodchip 19:08 29 Jan 2006

What it looks like to me is you hav used disc overlay software for these drives at some time and it is leaving info in the MBR. The software can be supplied with a drive or download from drive manufacturer. Like Maxblast for MAXTOR drives and Seatools I think for Seagate. If these have been used you have to use the same software to remove this. It's used to overcome BIOS Drive size limits

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?