Mounting a 3rd HDD

wotbus@ 19:25 18 Dec 2008

Windows XP Home.
I have mounted a 3rd (slave) HDD in my friends PC, in the slave position on the IDE ribbon which is connected to the DVD RW drive.
The OS recognises the HDD but not the DVD drive :-(
Is this configuration possible? (I am experimenting a bit).

stlucia 19:46 18 Dec 2008

It should be possible -- I had one mounted like that in my old PC running in Win XP Home.

And, so far as I can remember, it's always recommended that you put the DVD writer as master and the HDD as slave, as you have done. Are you sure you've got the master/slave jumpers right in both your devices, and everything plugged in fully?

wotbus@ 19:47 18 Dec 2008

Hi. The HDD is definitely set as slave but I didn't realise there were similar setting on a DVD drive. I will have a look.

wotbus@ 19:54 18 Dec 2008

Well, learned a bit more. There are settings but no diagram to explain (six pins with the middle two (vertical)) shorted.
It's an LG drive so I will check the site and see if I can turn up something with regard to the master/slave settings.

wotbus@ 20:12 18 Dec 2008

Can't belive this. I have just logged in to Manuals Online - downloaded a 90page PDF manual for this particular drive, and the only reference to jumper settings is in the initial picture (these are the jumper setting pins!) and right at the end in a block diagram showing Master/Slave/CSEL.
It's obviously set in the Slave position so Master must be one side or the other, probably left hand side looking at it.

wotbus@ 20:21 18 Dec 2008

It was indeed the l/h side. Sorted.
Thank VM stlucia, for steering me in the right direction.
I am very grateful to you.
:-)
PS: I was married in St Lucia by the way, so a double thank you :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?