then after less then 5 seconds of it being on it would shut off
Sounds like an overheat problem with the CPU,
Remove old thermal paste and fit new
Instructions for reapplying thermal paste :
1) Make sure you have the following :
Thermal Paste - I recommended Arctic Silver 5 or similar
A clean lint free cloth (coffee filter or lens cleaning cloth are good)
2) First you need to clean both the cpu & the base of the heatsink using the isopropyl & the lint free cloth. Make sure you remove all traces of the old thermal compound. Only pick up the cpu by holding the sides - do not touch the top after you have cleaned it & do not touch the pins at any time. Do not touch the underside of the heatsink after cleaning either.
3) Insert the cpu back into the motherboard - check first that no pins are bent & make sure you insert the cpu the right way round. Lower the lever to lock into place.
4) Place a blob (the size of one uncooked grain of rice) of the thermal paste on to the top of the cpu, in the middle.
5) Lower the heatsink straight down on to the cpu. Once in place, twist the heatsink very slightly (ie clockwise & counterclockwise) a couple of times then clip the heatsink into place.
After installing the cpu etc, try the following:
1) Unplug the PSU power cables from the motherboard
2) Disconnect ALL drive cabling from the motherboard. Unplug any external devices except for the monitor & keyboard
3) Locate the jumper header CLRCMOS0 again but this time place a jumper cap over the 2 pins. (Nick one from somewhere else on the board if you need to, just remember to return it again afterwards) Leave in plave for 30 seconds, then remove the jumper.
4) Reconnect the power (20 pin ATX connector & the 4 pin ATX12V connector) & try to boot up again
5) If still no luck, then disconnect power & remove ALL ram modules. Reconnect power & boot up. Listen for beeps & let me know if you hear any. (Make sure the internal speaker is connected to the motherboard first)
What was the last thing that happened before the system stopped working?