Motherboards For Booting From USB Device?

dublincity 01:28 06 Jan 2009

On various old PC’s I have successfully run multi-OS’s (e.g. Vista + XP + Linux or 2x XP + Linux) on 1 or 2 internal drives. I haven’t yet tried to run a Linux Distro from a USB flash drive.

I’m hoping to get a new PC this year - and with many spare external hard drives would like to get a set-up whereby I could instal (or copy with Acronis or Partition Magic?) a Windows &/or LinuxOS onto an external hard drive and then boot up directly from it.

Am I right in thinking that only certain motherboard/BIOS set-ups would allow this and if so can any be recommended?

Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers, Mike.

Zeppelyn 15:36 06 Jan 2009

Most modern motherboards will allow booting from USB, your problem will actually be to get any version of Windows to do this, certain usb driver files need to be modified. I have successfully done it by registering on usboot.org and downloaded the software. You need Windows installed on an internal drive first tho.

dublincity 20:22 06 Jan 2009

Hi Zeppelyn - many thanks for the information. The usboot.org site is very useful. I'll get learning ............ Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?