amd 1800 cpu
1gb ram
readon 7000 graphics
capture card
2x ide hdd
2x dvd burners
xp pro sp2
350w psu
Recently had a couple of power shutdowns on pc, do not know whether due to psu or anti-surge socket, but everything came back afterwards, since then a couple of problems, (1) on startup clock has to be reset after leaving off overnight,(new cmos battery fitted but no change)
(2) when starting up first time get blue and white rectangles accross lcd display, after pressing reset this then comes on OK. Ran diagnostic programme but nothing shows except possibly driver update needed.

howard64 14:50 29 Nov 2008

possibly worth running sfc /scannow and letting it check all files something may have become corrupted.

€dstowe 15:33 29 Nov 2008

The PSU is quite feeble for a modern system and they do weaken with time and produce effects similar to those you are getting.

Try a start up from cold with the optical drives and the auxiliary hard drive disconnected. Check if it comes on any better or, preferably, try another PSU.

lofty29 09:49 30 Nov 2008

Tried sfc / scannow, but when I had the message "put cd in drive" and did that got another message back saying that the xp cd was older than the system, which I think may be because of the updates since the original installation from that cd, which is going back about five years.
Edstowe
Yes I was wondering about that, now notice that when I try to first start up only fans spin unless I switch off then switch on the PSU from its mains switch, have a spare 500w one, nearly new, which I will try when I can remember where I put it safely.
Lofty

howard64 11:23 30 Nov 2008

if you google sfc /scannow they list workrounds for an older version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie