Motherboard running temperatures

wotan 16:48 28 Apr 2003

I have just installed SiSoft Sandra from this month's c.d..I have run the program and am a little concerned at the result, mainly because of the message "WARNING 2518" "The mainboard temperature is too high".
According to the report my mainboard temp. is 54.0C or 129.2F, both the processor fan and the fan on the power supply are functioning and there are no obstructions around the case so there should be an adequate air flow through and around the system. Is this something I should look further into or is it one of those warnings that are meant to be noted but require no immediate action.
Wotan

wotan 16:54 28 Apr 2003

Sorry, I should know by now to give more details of system.
I have an A.m.d. 2000+ processor running, with 512mb memory, using Win XP Home. At this time, the system has been in use for about 2 hours and shows no signs of instability and does not appear to be cooking as I cannot smell any hot wiring from the vents.
Wotan

Mango Grummit 17:14 28 Apr 2003

woton, am surprised first of all that this mag would even consider putting this on a cover CD as it is well known amongst it's readership to be highly unreliable. Am more surprised that it has fallen to me to inform you as I would have expected about six replies by now.

Suggest you just remove the thing. Don't go looking for trouble, it will find you by itself lol. These things only cause unnecessary worries!

Paranoid Android 17:16 28 Apr 2003

Thanks for the info, but really we need to know what motherboard you have. A lot depends on Sandra picking up the correct sensors and reading them properly. If you have a sensor in the Northbridge that is correctly reading 54 degrees you can get a passive heatsink or a fansink for the Northbridge.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 17:19 28 Apr 2003

Beat me to it Mango Grummit (what a wonderful name). Yes Sandra can be innacurate, but mine actually reads within approx 2 degrees of actual. I suspect that either 1) Sandra is reading the wrong sensor or 2) this is a Northbridge sensor and the Northbridge is running a little warm.

Marvin.

Offline 17:21 28 Apr 2003

It's not unknown for SiSoft to report the mainboard temp as the Cpu temp.

wotan 19:23 28 Apr 2003

First off, thanks for the swift replies.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte Technology board
model type 7VKLMS, fitted in a 'Time Speed Demon'. (yes I've heard all the jokes about Time Computers), and I get separate temp. readings for the motherboard and the C.P.U. so that does not appear to be the problem.
Mango Grummit, I might just take up your advice and bin the program as everything is doing what it is supposed to and I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thanks again,
Wotan.

wotan 19:23 28 Apr 2003

First off, thanks for the swift replies.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte Technology board
model type 7VKLMS, fitted in a 'Time Speed Demon'. (yes I've heard all the jokes about Time Computers), and I get separate temp. readings for the motherboard and the C.P.U. so that does not appear to be the problem.
Mango Grummit, I might just take up your advice and bin the program as everything is doing what it is supposed to and I am a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thanks again,
Wotan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?