Motherboard question

exdragon 21:06 21 Jul 2005

Hi - I was thinking about increasing my memory, but the motherboard I have (Board: Giga-Byte Technology Co., LTD i815-ITE8712) currently has 256mb and 2 lots of 128 in the other 2 slots. So presumably, if I kept the board, I'd have to ditch the 2 128s and replace them with 2 256s - is this right?

If so, it isn't worth it, is it? I don't understand the implications of changing the motherboard so does anyone have an 'idiot's guide' to what I'd have to know or find out before I take this any further, please?

I use it a lot for photography and want it to speed up - it's a bit like walking through treacle at the moment, despite defragging, ad aware, spybot, MS antispyware...

I've got a Pentium 3 and XP Home.

Thanks

Terry Brown 21:28 21 Jul 2005

It depends on the memory you have now and the processor. If your current memory is 100mhz ,it is doubtful if you will get matching memory, even if it is 133 memory, the chances are you will not get the correct speed on a new block --Think of it as a road system--if both memory chips are running at the same speed (i.e. both on main road), no problem, however if the new one is running at motorway speeds, it will cause problems. Secong ..if your processor is not able to handle the increased load, you may get system instability.-- Hope this helps--Terry

Carpigiani 21:34 21 Jul 2005

A quick look on the Gigabyte website shows that their boards with the Intel 815 chipset only support up to 512mb of SDRAM.

So it could be a new motherboard & Processor.

It is usually recommended that you start afresh with a clean installation of Windows when changing m/board/processor.

But it can be done without if necessary click here

exdragon 21:37 21 Jul 2005

How do I check that, Terry? I've run Belarc and have lots of information, just not too sure what to do with it!!

1000 megahertz Intel Pentium III - this is what it says about the processor.

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz - is this relevant?

Is it a 'grovel on the floor and take the case off' job?

exdragon 21:57 21 Jul 2005

Thanks for that - I think it confirms what I suspected, it's a 'back to my local friendly computer shop' trip!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone