Motherboard PSU connection

MAJ 19:10 21 Oct 2003

I'm changing the PSU on a PC due to some problems, it's an AMD XP Processor on a Socket A motherboard (KM4M). What I need to know is, does the little 4-pin plug from the PSU also plug into the M/B. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that that plug was for Intel Processor M/Bs. It was/is plugged in at the moment, but if it's not supposed to be, then maybe that is the cause of the problems. Can anyone clarify the status of that little 4-pin plastic plug, for me?

BarryKeith 19:21 21 Oct 2003

The 4pin plug is only of use on Intel processor mobo's, it is not used on AMD processor boards.

R4 19:24 21 Oct 2003

AMD motherboards do not need this plus it's only some Intel motherboards need it.

MAJ 19:26 21 Oct 2003

That's what I thought, BarryKeith. I wonder if having it plugged in would do any harm?

BarryKeith 19:29 21 Oct 2003

It will do nothing as there is no provision for it on AMD boards, do not try connecting it as you may damage your board by connecting to a test point or something.

R4 19:30 21 Oct 2003

I don't think there is a socket for it on AMD mobo's

MAJ 19:34 21 Oct 2003

Hi R4, sorry didn't see your post, I didn't refresh in time. There is a socket on this board for it and it was plugged in, but having changed the PSU to a larger (more watts) model, I'm wondering if I should plug it in again. I'll try it out without, I think. Fingers crossed. :-))))

Gongoozler 19:35 21 Oct 2003

Hi Maj. The extra connector is only for Intel P4 processors.

MAJ 19:39 21 Oct 2003

Thanks guys for confirming that. Here is the M/B, as you can see the little socket is there, bottom left of the processor socket. click here

MAJ 22:35 21 Oct 2003

Amazingly the PC wont boot unless that little 4-pin plug is plugged in, go figure (me shrugs shoulders).

R4 19:43 22 Oct 2003

From the manual :-

JPW1 supplies 12v to power the CPU. Thats why it wouldn't Boot::

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?