Motherboard PSU connection

MAJ 19:10 21 Oct 2003

I'm changing the PSU on a PC due to some problems, it's an AMD XP Processor on a Socket A motherboard (KM4M). What I need to know is, does the little 4-pin plug from the PSU also plug into the M/B. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that that plug was for Intel Processor M/Bs. It was/is plugged in at the moment, but if it's not supposed to be, then maybe that is the cause of the problems. Can anyone clarify the status of that little 4-pin plastic plug, for me?

BarryKeith 19:21 21 Oct 2003

The 4pin plug is only of use on Intel processor mobo's, it is not used on AMD processor boards.

R4 19:24 21 Oct 2003

AMD motherboards do not need this plus it's only some Intel motherboards need it.

MAJ 19:26 21 Oct 2003

That's what I thought, BarryKeith. I wonder if having it plugged in would do any harm?

BarryKeith 19:29 21 Oct 2003

It will do nothing as there is no provision for it on AMD boards, do not try connecting it as you may damage your board by connecting to a test point or something.

R4 19:30 21 Oct 2003

I don't think there is a socket for it on AMD mobo's

MAJ 19:34 21 Oct 2003

Hi R4, sorry didn't see your post, I didn't refresh in time. There is a socket on this board for it and it was plugged in, but having changed the PSU to a larger (more watts) model, I'm wondering if I should plug it in again. I'll try it out without, I think. Fingers crossed. :-))))

Gongoozler 19:35 21 Oct 2003

Hi Maj. The extra connector is only for Intel P4 processors.

MAJ 19:39 21 Oct 2003

Thanks guys for confirming that. Here is the M/B, as you can see the little socket is there, bottom left of the processor socket. click here

MAJ 22:35 21 Oct 2003

Amazingly the PC wont boot unless that little 4-pin plug is plugged in, go figure (me shrugs shoulders).

R4 19:43 22 Oct 2003

From the manual :-

JPW1 supplies 12v to power the CPU. Thats why it wouldn't Boot::

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache