Motherboard/ processor upgrade

jerryc 20:06 06 Sep 2004

I am planning to upgrade my motherboard/ processor and ram etc. I want to use an AMD Athlon64 but I am unsure which board/socket is the best way to go. I normally favour the ASUS motherboards. Can anyone offer any advice please?

johnsims 20:19 06 Sep 2004

Asus, Abit, Gigabyte. All are good. I also recently bought a cheap MSI board (everything on board) for an upgrade to a second string PC and must say I've been pretty impressed.

Linf5 20:28 06 Sep 2004

I'm going to be doing the same so I have been looking around in this area. Socket 939 motherboard is the way to go if you want to futureproof yourself but things are quite pricey here.

Chipwise, although you can get a socket 939 3500 AMD64 processor for reasonable money, the top of the range 939 chips (3800 and FX-53) are still very expensive.

I'm going for a cheaper option and getting the latest AMD Sepron processor in 3100 Socket 754 flavour which has had some favourable reviews and looks good value for money at around 80 quid. Socket 754 still has a bit of life left in it so I'll be good for a couple of years if I want to upgrade my processor again. It isnt true 64 bit but by the time Microsoft get round to releasing Longhorn - anybodys guess but could be as late as 2007 - I doubt I will actually be needing a 64 bit processor and if I do then socket 754 supports it.

I wouldn't go socket A unless you want a bargain as I believe it will be phased out soon.

I hope thats sort of useful - its just basically the conclusion I came to after digging around pc magazines and websites over the past couple of days.

bremner 20:29 06 Sep 2004

The Asus K8V Delux click here wiped the floor with the opposition in a large group test in PC Pro a few months ago.

jupiter 52 20:40 06 Sep 2004

is it essential to install a graphics card when building a pc? or is motherboard/progessor ok.
we are going to use athlon processor

researcher 23:30 06 Sep 2004

Just saving - have problems running Doom 3!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone