Motherboard help (building new system)

Multi_sheep 13:47 17 Apr 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time builder about to dip into my saving to build a PC for myself and am alittle confused on what motherboard would be best for me.

I am looking into using DDR3 1333mhz RAM in my new PC and also planning to use a E8400 processor which requires a 1333Mhz Front Bus to operate.

Could any of you reccomend me a motherboard that has these features while being under £150?

Thankyou all in advance!

Terry Brown 13:58 17 Apr 2008

If this is your first time, I would suggest you go for a motherboard bundle, where you use your existing DVD,CDROm and hard drives, but the board is otherwise fully assembled.
I have used NOVATECH many times and the quality is good.
Terry

jack 14:37 17 Apr 2008

Mother board bundle - the Mobo and Processor and basic memory are selected matched assembled and tested- ready to go
click here is the place to go

Which ever way you go- if you hope to use existing HDD and system - you wont.
The drive will have to be reformatted and the system reinstalled to match the MoBo and its ship set.

jack 14:39 17 Apr 2008

A new - Bigger poersupply to match the new connexion standard required by the CPU/MoBo

I am Spartacus 17:47 17 Apr 2008

It depends a lot on what you want to spend and what sort of system you're after. If you want an average motherboard with underspecified RAM then the Novatech 8400 bundle is good value.

If you want to build a system to overclock then the cost of DDR3 RAM doesn't seem to justify the minimal increase in performance based on the reviews I've read. I've just ordered an Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP Black Pearl Special Edition which uses DDR2 RAM click here
to which I plan on adding 2GB Crucual Ballistix PC8500 RAM click here which should overclock to a reasonably high level.

The motherboard gets good but not outstanding reviews but is reasonably priced for buidling a high end system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?