Motherboard and graphics card

malaika 21:00 09 Feb 2007

i recently bought a new motherboard, assuming my graphics card would be compatible, which it isn't! the motherboard is foxconn NF4SK8AA-8EKRS and the graphics card is radeon 9550. I don't want to lose any spec on either, but am willing to compromise a little on the motherboard. would it be better to buy a PCI-E card, and stick with this motherboard, or exchange the motherboard for one with an AGP slot? can you recommend a card or motherboard to buy?

andrew-196854 21:09 09 Feb 2007

if it was me i would buy a pci e graphic card as the agp is out of date now as which for a graphic card it depends on your budget ?

Totally-braindead 22:51 09 Feb 2007

Its swings and roundabouts. The thing is PCIE cards are a bit cheaper than AGP and theres more choice. From an upgrading and keeping the computer for a while point of view a new graphics card would be a better option. You could get something at least as good as what you have for perhaps £40 on PCIE. If you buy a £40 card then it'll be fine but if you decide to go for a better card then you may find, if you don't have a good power supply that you need to buy a new one as they need an extra power connector.
A cheap one that would do you and wouldn't need more power would be something like this click here or this click here . I would double check they don't need an extra power connector before purchase though just to be safe.

shazza65 18:01 05 May 2007

I am having a new computer built and am starting to buy the bits. Only really use computer for internet and burning CD/DVD's so don't need high speed graphics.

I want to have an AMD dual core chip, not sure on speed yet with 2GB of RAM.

I have been looking at the two motherboards listed above but can't decide which one is best. I understand the Asus has on-board graphics so that is OK, however, don't know about the Gigabyte, have looked for a graphics card for it but can't see anything listed for a GeForce 6100 (still bit of a novice).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Totally-braindead 19:53 05 May 2007

shazza65 this is someone elses posting and its also closed. Start your own thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017