Motherboard faiure

Garb 10:34 11 Jun 2009

Came in to find PC had shut itself down and woulkd not restart. Power supply fans wouldn't run. nor could I detect any Dc voltage at 20 pin connector. Bought new Thermaltake PS and installed but wouldn't run. Checked cable, power socket and plug fuse all OK. Shorted paper clip across Green to black connections on 20 pin connector and fans will then run. Is this a terminal mobo failure? Had been getting high temp alarms on processor recently when rumnning processor hungry apps. (tried shorting greento black cales on old power supply without success, so does that mean it is U/S as well as the mobo/processor?)
If I buy a new mobo bundle, can I install old hard drive with existing operating system or is it absolutely necessary to clean install? Have been told XPpro will be OK if put into new hardware system.
Old mobo was ABIT IS7 with P4 2,8 running XP pro.

keef66 10:51 11 Jun 2009

As a precaution I'd try a known good CPU before you decide the mobo's duff. If that fails, then I think you're right.

If you get an identical mobo you can get away with simply swapping everything over.

Failing that a repair install of Windows will allow it to run on the new mobo bundle without losing your stuff or requiring re-activation.

If, like me, you need to go the reinstall route you will have to activate Windows. Mine's XP Home OEM and I'd switched to a different mobo so I was expecting it to fail, but it went through OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?