Motherboard drivers

Liteman 14:19 27 Jan 2010

I recently suffered a motherboard failure (Asus M3N-HD/HDMI). The board has now been replaced with a newer model (Asus M3A78-CM).
When the new board was installed it was discovered that the 1TB HDD was also faulty, this has also been replaced under warranty (Seagate). XP has been loaded on the drive and I propose restoring my complete backup created in Acronis 2010 under the old set up.
My question is that when I do the restore, the old M/B drivers will also be restored. Will it be OK just to reload the new drivers from the CD provided after the restore has been completed, or will the restore cause any problems?

GaT7 14:25 27 Jan 2010

It could cause problems, but then again you may get away with it. You'll only know for sure when you try.

If both boards are based on the same chipset & have other features/components in common it may be OK.

Give it a go & see how it fares. If no joy, you'll have to reinstall the OS afresh, then do a manual restore of all your data, emails, etc - that's if it's accessible from the Acronis image? G

GaT7 14:28 27 Jan 2010

'If both boards are based on the same chipset & have other features/components in common it may be OK....'

Also meant to say....you may need to reinstall some drivers & you'll be back to normal (hopefully!). I know it's possible because I've done similar in the past on more than one occasion. G

Liteman 14:42 27 Jan 2010

Original M/B based on NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI chipset, new one on AMD 780V/SB700

GaT7 15:00 27 Jan 2010

Wel, as I said before, you won't know for sure until you try.

Sometimes these things work out & sometimes they don't. Hope it does for you. G

Terry Brown 15:09 27 Jan 2010

If it loads alright, i.e. the system starts, goto to Safe mode on your system, and select VGA mode and allow to start.

This will reload windows with no motherboard or graphic drivers. Load them in, and your problems should be solved.
Terry

Liteman 15:13 27 Jan 2010

This is going to require certain round things being grabbed in both hands, will report when done!

Liteman 10:51 11 Feb 2010

Decided to reload all programmes etc from scratch, but found that I had too many settings to add so went for a straight restoration of the backup, then loaded new MB drivers - worked a treat, don't know why I worried.

Thanks for all advice

GaT7 11:00 11 Feb 2010

To be fair Lightman it is worrying when one doesn't know what's going to happen. I was probably twice as worried as you were when I had to do something similar for the first time! G

GaT7 11:00 11 Feb 2010

To be fair Lightman it is worrying when one doesn't know what's going to happen. I was probably twice as worried as you were when I had to do something similar for the first time! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017