motherboard drivers

raziel08 12:41 13 Jul 2009

sorry if a subject similar to this has cropped up before.

I have obtained an old pc tower complete with motherboard, cpu, 2GB ddr 400 ram, power supply and an internal card reader.

however it doesn't have a hard drive or any discs. i have a hard drive which i can use.

so i need to create a bootable disc similar to what you get with a new motherboard which contains all of the drivers needed to get it working.

can anyone tell me how i go about doing this. will post the motherboard id number later if it helps.

kalignorgna 12:55 13 Jul 2009

go to the motherboards home page download the drivers then put them on to a disk

raziel08 14:27 13 Jul 2009

thanks for the reply. didn't realize it was so simple. can i just update the drivers for the board without doing damage to whatever data might be on the hard drive? or does it require a clean install?

raziel08 18:41 13 Jul 2009

by the way i intend to install ubuntu 9.04 jaunty onto this computer, will the bootable disc be able to find the correct drivers anyway or do i still need to download these drivers and install them from a disc?

thanks in advance for your help

DieSse 19:55 13 Jul 2009

"by the way i intend to install ubuntu 9.04 jaunty onto this computer"

Linux contains all the drivers you will need - you don't have that hassle like you do with Windows. The only extra driver you may need is for a graphics card - but linux will inform you about this and do it for you.

I would recommend you to look at Linux Mint. This uses Ubuntu as it's base, but has got a number of extra plus points over "vanilla" Ubuntu.

click here Enjoy - I am.

DieSse 19:56 13 Jul 2009

"...can i just update the drivers for the board without doing damage to whatever data might be on the hard drive?"

Yes.

DieSse 20:03 13 Jul 2009

BTW - we should have warned you. If the hard drive you have has Windows installed from a different system then -

If may not boot up as the hardware set up on the drive may be too different from the system it's going into.

A copy of Windows may only be on one system at a time, so it may object and need re-authorising.

For both instances you will need to do a "repair re.install" of windows from your windows CD, using the authorisation key you have. Strictly speaking if this is an OEM copy of Windows, you are not allowed to move it from one system to another. However in practice it often works.

DieSse 20:04 13 Jul 2009

How to do a repair reinstall

click here

raziel08 21:55 13 Jul 2009

thank you to you all for your help.

i am a long term windows user so the idea of a simple installation process isn't something that i am used to.

thank you for that suggestion, i have downloaded
linux mint 7 and will have a look at it. i assume that it will be faster than windows?

DieSse 22:37 13 Jul 2009

"i assume that it will be faster than windows?"

You bet - I dual-boot. Firefox on Mint has to be seen to be believed compared with XP.

Stuartli 00:21 14 Jul 2009

>>Firefox on Mint has to be seen to be believed compared with XP.>>

If it can prove any faster than Firefox with my copy of XP Pro then I'll pay a Mint to experience it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?