Motherboard dead - and then... - 3 times !!!

xania 17:46 26 Jul 2009

First occasion. Earlier this year, a friend's DELL PC went completely dead - small indicator light on motherboard lit and fans OK, but no beeps, to screen signal, no HDD activity. Disconnected all add-one, except one DIMM (including Keyboard & Mouse). Still nothing. Took out fianl DIMM - still nothing. Put it all back together - still nothing. 2 days later, suddenly working a if nothng ever wrong.

Second occasion, step-son insert additional DIMM, but used DDR2 when needed DDR. Computer completely dead. Removing DIMM made no difference (damage done?). Computer still dead - no beeps or anything. He did all the same checks - still nothing. 2 day's later suddenly PC comes back to life and no further problems a month later.

Today, another friend mentined that his HP PC had been dead for at least 2 days. Previous to that, for a couple of days PC stopping suddenly after short period of life, but able to re-start. Also no significant Internet (but that could be becuase of ISP problems). Took at look. No signal to monitor and no indication of HDD activity. No beeeps (except when I removed all the memory when I got a series of short beeps). Put it back together but still nothing. 6 hours later, PC suddenly comes back to life although mouse not working and very slow activity.

Am I missing something? My friends and family depend on me to sort out their PC problems and that's 3 times I've declared a motherboard knackered only to find it come back to life inexplicably.

Only things they have in common: All using Windows XP, all PC's about 5 years old, and none of them have any surge protection.

All advice and ideas gratefully received.

Technotiger 18:16 26 Jul 2009

In each case, I would suspect that the PSU is about to die!

Though could also be CPU over-heating.

xania 18:50 26 Jul 2009

Yes, I thought of the PSU, but the fact that 2 of the three have since shown no probrlems, in two cases over 6 months and 2 months respectively, would belie that fact. CPU over- heating I would also have ruled out for the same reason.

In fact, with the 1st PC, I now hae ths onm a test bench and have been throwing all sorts of bad practice at it but it still keeps on going.

Technotiger 19:04 26 Jul 2009

Very strange - at the time these things happened, there weren't any thunderstorms in the area by any chance?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:02 26 Jul 2009

Would suggest a static build up that has dispersed over the next few hours / days.

johnnyrocker 20:09 26 Jul 2009

ref last post try switching off at power point and hold pc on off sw for a short time.

johnny

woodchip 21:22 26 Jul 2009

As above PSU

crosstrainer 21:38 26 Jul 2009

Try a different power lead to the pc, wires inside can twist and become damaged inside...Invisible to the eye.

xania 08:44 27 Jul 2009

Thanks for all your comments. There certianly was some thunder around last week. But I think Fruit Bat probably has the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone