motherboard and CPU upgrade

Leslie-212488 10:31 25 Apr 2004

at present i have an old Gateway 500MHZ P3 win 98SE system. I have seen a AMD 2800/AAsus A7V8X-X
bundle on Ebay for £125, the 2600 system is £118.
I will also be moving to win XP.
Does anyone know about the combination as i quite take by the price? Can you suggest a better combination? i am not a power user but have just bought a camcorder and will need to download movies at some point. The machine is sometimes used for games (not very often).

Jakey boy 10:34 25 Apr 2004
  Gongoozler 10:44 25 Apr 2004

Hi desboy. First I suggest that you forget Ebay. I bought my ASUS A7V8X-X from Ebuyer for £40.53 inc VAT click here, and think its a superb board at a sensible price. I bought a 1.6G Duron for £26.62 inc VAT click here, and find it quite fast enough for most purposes. An Athlon 2800+ in a retail package with heatsink and 3yr warranty from the same supplier would be £90.66 inc VAT, click here. However I don't really think you need that much speed. What you will need is a new power supply to handle the much faster processor that you are going to install.

pmjd 10:48 25 Apr 2004

Try a few of these links to ebuyer, they usually offer a processor combo with all boards, check links on RHS of mobo.

click here

click here

It maybe worth your while getting a mobo with a built in firewire port to transfer your video but only if your camcorder has a DV out port.

If your getting WinXP Pro I suggest a minimum of 512mb of ram.

Stowit 10:53 25 Apr 2004

I've recently gone down similar lines, buying various componants on the cheap though Ebay. I've been happy with all the deals so far, but the problem has been getting it all together, assembling it all, identifying what was not working. All the traders have been helpfull, & exchanged the one faulty part ok. However from a new Mobo processor etc its ended up a new system. It needed a larger PSU, it was as cheap to get a complete case etc etc. What would have been hard would be dismantling the old system, loosing internet support (here, updated drivers, manufacturers sites for compatibility other forums, Ebay for bits! etc). Fortunatly I have 2 PCs. I found by the time I'd got the bits I wanted/needed, I wasn't far off an all new system. Go for it, but don't rush into the first set of bits you see, there'll be plenty more on next week! Also some bits are as cheap from online shops. Shop around.

Leslie-212488 22:52 27 Apr 2004

thanks for your help! guys, i will certainly check out those links

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?