Motherboard Changeover

LONG1 12:33 07 Apr 2009

Hi everyone I currently have an MSI 945gzm chipset motherboard with intel dual core 1.8ghz cpu 2gb ram 160gb sata harddrive running windows Vista this is a custom built machine. I want to upgrade motherboard to a ABIT AB9 pro without reinstalling Vista OS is there a way round this as I have looked doing GOOGLE search and find most people say clean Reinstall where as I would really like to not reinstall all ur help would b appreciated Thanks

Arthur Scrimshaw 13:34 07 Apr 2009

of Vista, but a few months ago I replaced my motherboard and the machine booted up without a mumur - but that was with XP.

(~oo~) 14:47 07 Apr 2009

I think with Vista you have no choice but to reinstall the operating system.

You could try but I would clone your drive to another just incase it goes belly up.

Is it a full version of vista or an oem disk?

LONG1 16:32 07 Apr 2009

No it is an OEM version of Vista home premium

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 07 Apr 2009

Uninstall motherboard drivers.
switch off
change board
reboot let vista find new hard ware an install the drivers for your new board.

LONG1 17:15 07 Apr 2009

Thanks where do I find all these drivers to uninstall? Would they b in uninstall programs or device manager or located on hardrive under program files?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 07 Apr 2009

In device manager

Forum Editor 18:22 07 Apr 2009

from Speakers Corner.

DieSse 00:53 08 Apr 2009

If it's an OEM version, the licence you agreed to says you cannot use it again on a new system. An upgraded motherboard would normally count as "a new system".

LONG1 14:58 08 Apr 2009

ok looks like i am stuck mayb i will take this up with microsoft. either that I will have to by another copy of vista which would mean a total reinstall might aswell build or by another pc for what it is gonna cost oh well!!!

Stuartli 15:41 08 Apr 2009

I've changed my motherboard twice in recent years - all that has been required is an XP Repair.

I haven't any experience, apart from the odd play, with Vista, but there are instances where a "Repair" can be undertaken. See:

click here

click here

click here

click here

There are plenty of other sources, but these should help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires