Motherboard bundle boot

cearve 20:34 15 Jun 2007

I have just installed a new motherboard bundle into my other computer. I am running windows xp professional. when I try to boot up I get a blue error screen after bios has run. Does this mean I need to reload Windows. If I do this will I loose other programmes etc already on the hardrive or can i run windows in safely?

jimv7 20:57 15 Jun 2007

Boot from the xp cd, wait till after you press f8 to accept the terms, then choose repair instead of install.

Technotiger 21:00 15 Jun 2007

Hi, what error message, if any, do you get with the blue screen? It might simply be something like memory stick(s) not seated properly, or something similar.

cearve 21:09 15 Jun 2007

It says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage ect. Remove and newly installed hardrives and check configeration. The motherboard bundle, cpu and memory was asembled at the suppliers and tested.

Technotiger 21:18 15 Jun 2007

I would still check all fitted hardware and wiring, things can get dislodged without being noticed while handling, 'cos it does seem to me to be hardware related rather than software.

jay.p 22:16 15 Jun 2007

you have to be prepared to reformat xp when installing a new mainboard as i always have, but i have never tried an xp repair before as jimv7 so that may well work.
it's easy to plug the case to mainboard cables in the wrong location so if you have not double checked already this could cause the problem.

woodchip 22:29 15 Jun 2007

As above if it will nor Repair with the XP CD then you will have to reload XP

woodchip 22:31 15 Jun 2007

Look click here

cearve 23:05 15 Jun 2007

Hello you guys. Thanks for your help tonight. Yes it was a Windows problem. Windows didn't recognise the new motherboard. As jimv recommended I repaired the windows version and after doing so I got up and running from there. Thanks again all. Another triumph for the helproom. Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?