Motherboard battery?

PEG007 11:06 15 Aug 2006

Yesterday my system went belly up twice. I think I can recall reading something years ago about battery replacement inside the tower case. Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated. I have been running my system without any problem since Feb'02. If a battery does need replacing, could I do this?
Mesh Matrix XP 1800 TI
Athlon XP 266MHZ motherboard.
AMD Athlon XP 1800.

Gongoozler 11:28 15 Aug 2006

The battery only saves the CMOS settings on the computer and keeps the clock running when the computer is disconnected from the mains. It doesn't have any effect on how Windows runs.

The battery is a silver disk about an inch in diameter. If you can tell us what motherboard your computer uses, we may be able to point you to a picture of the battery on the motherboard. I think it might be this one. click here. If I'm right, the battery is in the foreground at the centre.

Stuartli 11:52 15 Aug 2006

Is your clock in the Taskbar keeping good time?

If so the battery will/should be OK. Average life of a CR3020 lithium battery (probably the most common in use on moatherboards) is five years.

PEG007 12:11 15 Aug 2006

Asus A7A266-E socket A mobo AliMaGik 1 chipset.
Clock on the taskbar is keeping good time.
Change battery or not?

woodchip 12:27 15 Aug 2006

Then forget the battery, it's nothing to do with that.

vinnyT 13:08 15 Aug 2006

Give us a description of what happened (and any error messages, if you can remember them), what you were doing when it happened, and maybe someone will be able to help.

Gongoozler 13:10 15 Aug 2006

Crashing is more likely to be either software related or a memory problem. I have recently replaced a motherboard on a computer similar to your's (that's the motherboard I posted a link to) because it had a persistant memory handling problem. If the crashing always occurs when a certain program is running, then it's probably that one that's causing it.

PEG007 14:02 15 Aug 2006

I was importing music from a disc to iTunes on both occasions. I've ha recurring difficulties with my ipod nano too, eg will not be recognised by USB2. Im now beginning to think it's iTunes that is the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:22 15 Aug 2006

've ha recurring difficulties with my ipod nano too, eg will not be recognised by USB2.

Uninstall and reinstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB in device manager.

This will refresh the USB ports and your ipod should then be recognised.

Gongoozler 16:03 15 Aug 2006

A friend of mine has a computer I built for him a few years ago. It was completely stable until he installed ITunes. I think it's the Apple software. I have often had trouble in the past with Quicktime as well.

PEG007 16:05 15 Aug 2006

Thanks for the advice; good stuff as usual.
I think I'll give Fruit Bat's reinstall a go re the ipod but I'm a bit concerned about replacing the motherboard gongoozler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?