Mother Board Problem after deleting a Trojan

Ex plorer 18:49 03 Mar 2007

Hi I had a Trojan Clicker CY on my PC a while ago and I found it and deleted it. Ever since my PC will only run for a few minuets and shut down.
The problem is with the MOBO as I had a win 98 HD that had been set up on this MOBO before on a separate drive, and the one that got the Trojan is my XP HD and it’s just the same problem. Tried loading the defaults in BIOS. I did get a warning when the windows screen came up
Exception, Class Invalid Pointer Operation?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 03 Mar 2007

Try remove/refit memory or remove mem modules one at a time.

phono 19:43 03 Mar 2007

I would say that this is most likely nothing to with deleting the trojan and it is pure coincidence that this is now happening.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has suggested, check and reseat RAM but also check and reseat all other cards and cables and see if the problem persists, if it does, try a RAM test with memtest86 or similar.

Also try booting your PC with a bootable floppy disk and see if still shuts down within a few minutes, if it does you may well have some defective hardware or an overheating problem.

Post back after these checks.

Ex plorer 14:04 04 Mar 2007

Hi checked all fans working ok pulled ram and reseated took heat sink out and cleanand it removed both sides of computer case.
Field Value
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)
Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
Maxtor 6Y120L0 28 °C (82 °F)

its run now longer than before.
I have other problems so I am going to do a Win XP repair someting that I havent been unable to do as it used to shut down before I could finish the job.

Ex plorer 15:01 04 Mar 2007

Thanks for help all seems ok now.

phono 17:04 04 Mar 2007

Glad to hear all is okay, did you remember to use fresh thermal paste on the heatsink when you re-installed it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?