More RAM?

nickhick 19:23 26 Aug 2003

I bought a new laptop (compaq presario) in April and it came with Win XP and 384MB RAM. Would this computer benefit ,noticeably, from adding further cheap RAM from CRUCIAL, say, or would it be a matter of the law of diminishing returns so to do.
I was thinking of perhaps adding another 128MB RAM i.e. nothing too much, which might end up slowing the whole thing down.

The Sack 19:32 26 Aug 2003

It would benefit if you regulaly use more than 384MB of RAM.

Barrie_G 19:34 26 Aug 2003

unless your playing demanding games or editing video you wont notice much improvement by adding another 128mb of ram, to give you a rough idea if you need to upgrade or not if you use your most demanding program then press Ctrl/Alt/Del and check the performance tab it will give you an idea of how much memory you are using and then you will be able to decide whether the upgrade is worth it.

SEASHANTY 19:47 26 Aug 2003

Looks as if your memory slots have been filled with
3 sticks of 128MB ram. Therefore to upgrade you will have to dump one of these sticks unless your have four memory slots in your laptop. I read in one of the computer mags than any up on 512 MB of ram is a waste of time so I would stick with what you have. Why waste money?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017