More Pipex problems?

john bunyan 10:57 01 Dec 2008

From about Saturday, when I tried to log in to ""My Pipex" it took longer and asked me to put in user name and password twice . Today the same, but after putting in the info a security alert came up "Problem with this site's security certficate" etc. Anyone else got a problem - I am loathe to phone them yet again!

colberly 11:09 01 Dec 2008

Exactly the same here today.

RobCharles1981 12:23 01 Dec 2008

Pipex Aka Tiscali are one of the worst ISP's if you head over to click here# Ranked at 22 you will see why.

I suggest moving to far more "Professional ISP"

What other services can you get by going to samknows at the link. Fill In the blanks and post back the results.

click here

Also how do you connect do you have a router/modem what model is it? Once given Ile show you how to obtain your line stats.

john bunyan 12:26 01 Dec 2008

Have just read on Pipex site when trying to log in a message saying "Due to maintainance problems there may be problems logging in today - try after 2000" , or some such message. At least the spam controls have improved with them but the download speed ( target 8Mbps varies from 1Mbps to about 6MMbps from day to day and hour to hour (with a constant home set up) I am hoping to avoid changing ISP's to avoid the hassle as I have so many contacts to inform, but will bite the bullet if Pipex do not really settle down soon.

john bunyan 12:36 01 Dec 2008

Rob TheOrganGuru.
Sorry posted before reading yours. I want to stay with BT as phone line supplier and also have a Vonage broadband phone I want to keep. I also (unusually) have a one month rolling contract for Pipex "up to 8 Mbps" service. (been wth them over 10 years). I would only consider a new Isp that offers a one month rolling contract and ideally a uk based helproom and had Zen as a front runner if I changed. I know others point out the price advantage of packages from talk talk etc but if you want to change ISPs I want a rolling one month contract and althogh dont want to pay too much, quality, uk base and reliability are most important to me. I have a wireless router / modem /gateway: Linksys WAG54GX2 - would like to keep it.Glad to hear your views.

RobCharles1981 13:31 01 Dec 2008

Hi John

Staying with BT As your Phone Line Supplier is good, thats what my folks do, the Broadband Comes Separately.

As for "One Month Rolling Contracts" there are a good few

Fast rated number 1 on dslzoneuk are a very good rated service I don't use them but I know who uses it "FatboySlim71" a member here on PCA is very happy - "you basically get what you pay for"

If I'm not mistaken they carry 1 month contracts.

Another Top "One Month Rolling Contract" is ADSL24 (Entanet) who I am with are really good. I'm With them you get ADSL Max 8 Meg, One Month Rolling Contracts, UK Based Support, No Traffic Shaping or Throttling for £19.99 a month you can get 30/300 of usage allowance a month.

I would advice you to give them a call on 01457 6000 24 where you will most probably speak to "James" hes ace.

As I said previously what does Samknows tell you what other services are at your exchange? click here

For your line stats follow the prompts as of here:

Click on the following link: (Copy and paste into your browser)

click here

and enter the username admin and password password. You should see a message saying Debug Enable!

Next, click on Start, then Run. Enter the following in the Run box:

telnet 192.168.1.1

then press OK. A black box will appear. Type the following in to the box:

adslctl info --stats and press enter (If it says command not found, try adsl info --stats).

Good Luck.

john bunyan 13:59 01 Dec 2008

RobTheOrganGuru
Thanks very much for excellent reply. Will seriously look at Entanet etc. and will just have to face the hassle of a new e Mail address if I change ISP's.JB

RobCharles1981 16:18 01 Dec 2008

Show me your line stats to see what you can be getting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie