More on graphics card for Dell PC

Sea Urchin 20:52 15 Jan 2010
Answered

In a previous thread click here it was suggested by Hercule Marple that my neighbour should buy a Radeon 4670 graphics card for his Dell 4700 series PC. It was mentioned that this would work with the existing 305 watt PSU.

He has gone ahead with this purchase, but we notice on the hardware spec for the card it suggests 400 watt or greater.

This was the card he bought - any thoughts as to whether it can be installed or not?

click here

GaT7 20:55 15 Jan 2010

Yes, it will be no problem.

Dell underrate their PSUs - the actual peak output is actually considerably more (up to a limit).

I've heard people running the older, power-hungry 8800GT card that required additional external power from the PSU, on those 305W PSUs. They did it with SATA-molex & molex-PCIE adapters.

The HD4670 doesn't require this additional power, so should be fine. G

GaT7 21:05 15 Jan 2010

Previous thread found via Google click here for reference.

The HD4670 is one of the best possible GPUs to go for (will even play most games with decent settings) without having to upgrade most PSUs or use power cable adapters.

A new nVidia card, the GT 240, is currently the best without having to upgrade/change anything with most quality, low-wattage 350-400W PSUs. Or, 300W in the Dell's case. G

Sea Urchin 22:56 15 Jan 2010

Firstly - sorry you had to Google for my previous thread - I did in fact include a link to it in my posting (first line 5th word) but it is rather well hidden.

Secondly I'm very grateful to you for reassuring me that the newly purchased card should work. Since posting I have also been Googling, and have found many references to this card and required PSUs. They also reckon it will be fine.

Thanks again.

Sea Urchin 18:11 21 Jan 2010

.....and thanks once more Crossbow7 - we fitted the new card yesterday and everything is running very smoothly.

GaT7 18:30 21 Jan 2010
Answer

Thanks for getting back Sea Urchin, & glad to know it works OK :-).

"I did in fact include a link to it in my posting (first line 5th word) but it is rather well hidden." - yes, I spotted that after posting! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?