More Firefox problems...

wotbus@ 20:30 28 Nov 2007

or is it just me?
I have just sorted one FF problem now here's another:
Top right is the Search Engine box, I have Google selected. I type 4-5 letters and the box clears!!!
I type 1 letter and wait - 2secs and that disappears.
In fact I am unable to type anything more than 2 words long, and even if the first word appears in a drop-down "suggest" menu, by the time I have moved to select it, the box is cleared again?
It doesn't happen in IE7 - could MS have sabotaged FF for me ;-)
A couple of days ago I suddenly had Site Advisor set as my search engine (not by me)! When I clicked the down arrow to select another engine, there wasn't any? I am not using the beta3v of FF.
Anyone else with stability problems?

wotbus@ 20:40 28 Nov 2007

Hmmmm. I am browsing with FF to this forum.
Top of the screen says:
Forums - More Firefox problems - PC Advisor - Mozilla Firefox - but - the last toobar before the PC Advisor web page shouts:
Customise Links, Free Hotmail, Windows Marketplace, Windows Media and Windows. That all sounds a bit IE7 to me???

Technotiger 20:40 28 Nov 2007

I use FF all the time, never had any problems with it. You might have picked up a nasty - perhaps you should run all your anti-everything programs, just in case!

wotbus@ 20:44 28 Nov 2007

Hmmm again.
Wife has just started surfing in the same room on another PC and just shouted she has a problem with her search box - same problem I have!!!
I asked her to use IE7 and it works ok???
The problem:
In the Firefox search box - unable to type anything!

wotbus@ 20:47 28 Nov 2007

Hi Techno. We both use FF and have done so trouble free for ages. I will do an anti scan but it seems strange we should both have the same problem. I re-installed FF yesterday trying to resolve another problem. It didn't resolve the problem but a system restore did. Definitely something strange going on...

wotbus@ 20:56 28 Nov 2007

Thanks Marg7. I usually run CC at the end of each day and did so yesterday. Wife's PC has just thrown up the same problem and it hasn't been on for a couple of days, but you may have hit it in one - we both share the same home page "click here"
Anyone care to try it out for me using FF and Google?

wotbus@ 20:57 28 Nov 2007

Our posts crossed in the post ;-)

wotbus@ 21:12 28 Nov 2007

I just tried the search box while on this site, and it works OK so it begins to point to my (our) home page - but - I just launched FF in another window and tried the search box and it worked normally, but when typing this response the same problem appeared in this box - the cursor just disappeared after 1 or 2 letters !!!! I closed the other FF window and now I can type normally again.
I may go to bed with a book, not about computers. Thanks everyone. I will tick as resolved, which it isn't of course, and will post any findings later.

wotbus@ 21:59 29 Dec 2007

Sorted :-)
I was just on a site and a small note in red caught my eye:-
"If Javascript is disabled in your browser, click here".
I clicked it, tried the Search box and tried typing in the URL line and Presto - no more disappearing cursors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?