Monitor trouble

Kolnikov 23:12 01 Dec 2006

I have just installed Windows 2000 onto a new computer and I have a VGA monitor attached to it. However the installation has left me with only a 16 colour palette and a 800x600 resolution. This is the maximum resolution it is allowing me to set and there is no way I can change my monitor settings any further. Any ideas?

birdface 23:46 01 Dec 2006

You can change the resolution and the 16 bit colour quality to 32 bit, but if it is like mine , the picture gets very small, and the printing hard to read,If you go into Control panel.Display.Settings.You get higher resolutions by moving the slider to the right,Or you can go into advanced and can move it further from there,But the further you move it the smaller it gets,Will keep looking here to see if someone can help you, If they help you it also helps me, Good luck.

Kolnikov 01:18 02 Dec 2006

My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 but on the display panel the maximum it can go up to is 800x600. Windows has installed the monitor as a default VGA monitor and I can see no way to change it.

jack 08:32 02 Dec 2006

Do a search for Monitor[the make] and Graphics card drivers.
Make sure the Graphics card is set up correctly and/or down load the latest drivers for that model

Diemmess 09:12 02 Dec 2006

I believe Jack is right.
The source of the trouble is the graphic card drivers not yet properly installed, not the monitor.

Look in device manager > display adapters. You should see your graphics card shown by name.
If not shown as expected trying re-installing or updating, but have the CD ready. If the graphics are integrated it will be the motherboard CD you will need.

countryboy 16:34 09 Dec 2006

You need to install the monitor driver. Right click anywhere on the screen to bring up display properties, select setting, advance, monitor, properties, driver, update driver, Install from a list, don't search, tick show compatible hardware, next , then select your monitor from the displayed list.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:44 09 Dec 2006

The monitor drivers are not necessary for correct operation of the graphics card. This problem is caused by the lack of graphics card drivers, Diemmess is right.

countryboy 20:42 09 Dec 2006

Mr Mistoffeless you may have your own opinion but the broblem as described is exactly the same as I had once, so I would check the monitor driver, even if the monitor claims to be plug and play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?