Monitor stays in standby - help please!!

Nick1972 12:01 20 Mar 2008

Hi there,

I tried to switch on our PC yesterday, only to find that the TFT monitor won't come out of it's standby mode, and says "no signal".

Otherwise, the PC seems to be operating as normal, and I can (blindly) sign in to the PC, and it makes all the usual noises.

From a bit of browsing on my mobile, I can see that it may be something like the graphics card, motherboard, RAM etc, but I have no idea where to start in narrowing these down.

My OH did take the cover off last night and hoovered out the dust, then reseated the graphics card, but nada.

Can anyone help us to find out what to do next??

Oh, and we have tried the monitor on FILs machine, and it worked fine, so we know it isn't that.

Many thanks

Suzie

Gongoozler 12:04 20 Mar 2008

The most likely problem is that your graphics card has died, and the only way to find out for certain is by trying another card.

Gongoozler 12:06 20 Mar 2008

Sorry - I should have said - try a different video cable first - it's much cheaper!

Nick1972 12:13 20 Mar 2008

Cool, thanks Gongoozler, we'll give both of those a go tonight - it is over 4 yrs old - do graphics cards have an expected life span?

2bathred 14:13 20 Mar 2008

try pulling the card and reseating it again. If you can wipe the contacts with an isopropil wipe that will get off any dirt that may be present, these contacts don't like finger grease. Check you havn't bent any pins on the cable as well.

Nick1972 12:50 21 Mar 2008

Thanks 2bathred - OH didn't get in til very late last night so we're going to try the cable, and wipes today, then see if we can borrow a graphics card from someone if those don't do the trick!

Nick1972 14:09 21 Mar 2008

Ok, looks like we've sorted it - apols if I'm not using the correct terminology...

The PC package came with 2 similar looking cables (could it be VGA and SVGA?) so he got out the other one, but this made no difference at first.

He also had another look at the graphics card, and said there were 2 ports, one with less contacts than the other, so he put the card in that one, and it's now working, however the screen definition is visibly a lot lower than before.

This same thing didn't work in either port with the old cable, or with the new cable in the port with more contacts.

Does any of this make sense? Does it mean we're going to need a new graphics card eventually?

Gongoozler 14:25 21 Mar 2008

Low resolution could be just a matter of selecting the right one. Right click on the desktop, select Properties - Settings. There you can select the screen resolution and Colour (Color) quality. You shouldn't need to buy a new graphics card unless the present one is faulty or not good enough for what it's required to do. What is more likely to help you is to identify your present card and then download the manual for it.

Nick1972 14:35 21 Mar 2008

Thanks again Gongoozler - it's a Geforce FX 5200 256mb. Shall go d/l the manual now.

tonynoarm 14:56 21 Mar 2008

Try something simple first. This occasionally happens to my system. Unplug the computer from the mains for a minute or two, plug back into the mains and retry - it has worked for me!

woodchip 15:01 21 Mar 2008

I think that the Hard Drive is not waking up, Go to Control Panel if it starts after a reboot the Power Management and set Hard Drive to Never

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone