Monitor specs confusion - sorry.

michelleuk 00:04 07 Jan 2003
  michelleuk 00:04 07 Jan 2003

Hi,

As many will know I am looking for a 17inc monitor, and following advice I had a look at some online stores. I was hoping that there would be a way of finding out which monitor sells the most, but there doesn't appear to be away of finding out, plus I guess alot would go on cost.
As I don't want to be duped again and buy a dud, I have looked at Mitsubishi, CTX and now Samsung, these all appear to have good specs, though with one mitsubishi monitor I have to windows 200 - I have windows 98

So here is my question what should I be looking for in the specs?

This is what is listed under a samsung monitor. All of which confuses me. So if someone could tell me what I should be looking for under each category, that would help.
click here this is the link to the samsung monitor (I hope it works.

Display Type Display / CRT conventional - desktop
CRT Type DynaFlat
Dot Pitch 0.20 mm
Max Resolution 1280 x 1024 / 65 Hz ( non interlaced )
Max Sync Rate (V x H) 160 Hz x 70 KHz Video Bandwidth 110 MHz
Image Type Multiscan
Image Colour Temperature 9300K, adjustable, 6500K
Image Aspect Ratio 4:3
Video Input Analogue video Signal RGB
Audio Output Type None
Interface(s) Required Port(s) / Connector(s) Required 1 x display / video - VGA / VBE - 15 PIN HD D-Sub (HD-15) - 1

There were other heading but I thought these were the main ones. Any help is appreaciated

Thank you, Take Care, Michelle:-)
click here (my own website)

LastChip 00:21 07 Jan 2003

I have to admit to being a Samsung convert, now buying only Samsung monitors for any machines that I build.

The quality for the price is superb.

The most important figure (in my view) is the Dot Pitch, which is 0.20mm. The lower the number, the better, and you will find many comparable monitors quoting either 0.25 or 0.26mm. So clearly the Samsung has an advantage there.

You will probably find running it at 1024x768 at 85Hz, is the best option, although if you are into heavy graphics, you may wish to accept the 65Hz refresh rate, and run it at 1280x1024. The last number, relates to the number of pixels, 1280 across the screen and 1024 down. In other words, the screen is made up of 1280 individual blocks across and 1024 down. If you really want to know how many that is in total, it is 1,310,720 pixels in total, being re-drawn 65 times a second.

Personally, I would have no hesitation in recommending a Samsung monitor.

michelleuk 00:33 07 Jan 2003

Hi,

Which samsung monitor do you have? Have you had any problems with it? And is it easy to use? The monitor I have uses a normal serial cable to connect to the computer is that the same as all monitors?

Thanks
Michelle:-)

LastChip 02:08 07 Jan 2003

I normally use 753's.

No problems.

Very easy to use and set-up.

And yes; it's a normal serial cable.

michelleuk 02:34 07 Jan 2003

Hi,

The specs quoted was for a samsunf sm753s 17inc FST is that the monitor you have?

If so, does the screen look flat? The picture on Ebuyer seems to mke the screen look flat. I will be using it for text, website design and watching DVD's is that the type of thing you use your for? Did you buy it from a shop or did you buy it online?

The one I have is a pro view and it really is problomatic, and because the green bulb/filiment has now gone I can buy a new monitor. The samsung appears to be level pegging with a CTX but the CTX is 0.25 and this is 0.20. I assume it doesn't have built in microphone or speakers?

How long have you had yours?

Thanks
Michelle:-)

LastChip 10:45 07 Jan 2003

I have one 750s (the oldest) and two 753s's at home, none of which have given any trouble.

The screen is "flattish", but not perfectly flat as in a TFT screen for example.

It will be perfectly acceptable for your use, and no, there are no built in extras!

As regards e-buyer, you may wish to read this; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?