Monitor shut down

Ankermi31 09:14 13 Feb 2009

Windows XP

Last night husband received an email with a web link.

He clicked it and the web page opened. He tells me that when he scrolled down to the item he needed to read the monitor went dead (according to him a black screen definately not a blue one). The monitor switched off - he confirms it was the orange off light showing.

The computer was still running so he switched it off manually.

Do you think this was an isolated incident or something to worry about?

I have run AVG Antispyware and virus check no problems. CCleaner and Registry Mechanic.

Since doing these nothing has happened.

Need to be prepared as important to have system running due to family in "hot spots" who need to communicate with home.

Thanks as always

Ankermi

Clapton is God 10:26 13 Feb 2009

Try also running an anti-malware scan with click here

Ankermi31 15:08 14 Feb 2009

Events have overtaken Clapton before we could download your suggestion.

Switching the system on (Windows XP) this morning it whizzed around and the black screen came on. Husband now has:-
MS Systems32/configuration problem, it may be corrupt and can attempt to repair by installing the recovery CD and typing "r" somewhere.

We do have the disc.

The problem is how do we get past this screen?
Imagine its one of the F keys but am now completely lost,

Can someone help or is it a case of taking it to be "sorted" ?

Thanks

wee eddie 16:16 14 Feb 2009

The Monitor is "not" displaying a "No Signal" Icon or Notice, from what you say.

So double check the seating of the RAM and also the cable.

Does it work with another Monitor, in Safe Mode or, if not, how do you know that you have run these programs? If not, how do you know about the "MS Systems32/configuration problem"?

Ankermi31 14:49 15 Feb 2009

When we switch on the computer and screen it runs through someof the pre-amble on the screen but then the message comes up. I am NOT getting a No signal Icon or Notice.

No idea what you mean about the seating of the RAM and cable. Help please.

I cannot get the computer to run in Safe Mode as the screen is completly frozen It does not get to the desktop.

I know about the MS Systems 31 problem because it is displayed in front of us on the screen after we switch it on.

How do I get past this frozen screen if at all so I can start in Safe Mode.

Await responses please or do I take it to the IT tech to sort it please.

Ankermi

Ankermi31 14:50 15 Feb 2009

When we switch on the computer and screen it runs through someof the pre-amble on the screen but then the message comes up. I am NOT getting a No signal Icon or Notice.

No idea what you mean about the seating of the RAM and cable. Help please.

I cannot get the computer to run in Safe Mode as the screen is completly frozen It does not get to the desktop.

I know about the MS Systems 31 problem because it is displayed in front of us on the screen after we switch it on.

How do I get past this frozen screen if at all so I can start in Safe Mode.

Await responses please or do I take it to the IT tech to sort it please.

Ankermi

wee eddie 15:53 15 Feb 2009

To get into Safe Mode.

The moment you Press the "On" Switch > start tapping the F8 (or F5 for some PCs) until you hear a "Bleep" or it opens. If offered, select "Last Known good Configuration" of "Normal"

Ankermi31 17:25 15 Feb 2009

Thanks Wee Eddie
Will give it "a go" and see what happens. Fortunately have a Tobisha Laptop so am still functioning:)-

wee eddie 17:04 17 Feb 2009

When you try to enter Safe Mode.

Some PCs go straight to a Basic Window at low resolution (800x600 probably), others go to a Black Screen with a list of the basic Drivers in white text, when this happens you may need to wait several minutes (could be 10 or more) until they all load and it moves on.

Your Mouse will not work ~ Keyboard controls only ~ There could be problems with Keyboards other than the PS2 Type.

Ankermi31 17:55 17 Feb 2009

Thanks for your calming words. I tried all that I knew (not much) and what you said and no luck.##Have a wireless mouse and he is fit and well.

Took the computer to the repair yard yesterday (not PCWorld I might add). Just had a phone call to say it has taken them a few hours to get into Windows there was a problem. They have found some "issues" but will find out more when I get the next update from them tomorrow.

So thanks for your help once more wee eddie.

Will leave this "open" in case the diagnoise is of any interest in which case I will post it.

Regards Ankermi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017