Monitor showing only with red tint?

buel 21:25 25 Sep 2014

Hi, My girlfriend has an external monitor connected to her laptop (Vista) that has worked fine for over three months. Today, whenever we plug it in, everything has a red background as if viewing through rose tinted spectacles. :0)

The monitor works fine when connected to my PC so obviously it is a problem with her laptop....but what could it be, please?

Thank you in advance.

Woolwell 21:28 25 Sep 2014

If the laptop screen itself is ok then I would check the connections eg is the connector fully home on the laptop?

bumpkin 22:17 25 Sep 2014

It sounds like the cable to me or as Woolwell says the connections. I had a similar thing try another cable, solved it in my case.

Woolwell 22:49 25 Sep 2014

A similar incidence occurred for me with a projector. The connector was not square on and some the pins were not fully connecting. If the same cable was used to connect the monitor to the PC then that is ruled out. Check pins are not bent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:14 25 Sep 2014

Try another cable

buel 19:33 26 Sep 2014

Hi everybody! Well, as stated earlier, the fact that the monitor worked fine on my laptop with the same lead led to me thinking that the lead and monitor were ok. However, I have just tried a different cable and get exactly the ame thing, Im afraid. So...could it be the VGA port on my girlfriend's laptop which is at fault?

Woolwell 19:38 26 Sep 2014

Is the laptop screen ok? VGA connectors on laptops can get damaged with frequent connection and disconnection which is why a docking port is sometimes recommended. Check the connector for damage or an obstruction.

bumpkin 20:42 26 Sep 2014

Could be a broken or dry joint on the laptop port. With the monitor connected try wiggling the connector. Not the solution I know but if you get a proper display for a few seconds then you will know the probable fault. Worth a try.

bumpkin 20:46 26 Sep 2014

Do you have another monitor to try on the laptop?

bumpkin 20:48 26 Sep 2014

Ignore last suggestion as not much point.

buel 21:15 26 Sep 2014

Hi all. Ok, I tried blowing the laptop VGA port with compressed air, hoping to free something up but no luck Im afraid. It was being unplugged and plugged in about once per week and there is no place to screw the connector 'in' to the laptop so perhaps one of the pin holes is damaged. Is there any 'workaround' that can enable a second screen to be plugged in?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?