Monitor returned to Default - Plug&Play lost

Sean S 23:28 28 Jul 2010

Please help. I ran CCleaner and everything is now much faster except I think I have lost a driver or two! When rebooted the display settings were changed. I went to control panel/display but the resolution options available no longer allow me to get the 1680 x 1050 recomended. The monitor tab only shows "default monitor" no Plug and Play option to reset my monitor. It is an LG L226WTQS. I am running XP Home. It is 2 years old but no probs so far until now. Could my drivers have been deleted or something to do with the Raedon graphics card?
I have the following yellow alerts in systems settings:-
1.Video Controller (VGA compatible)
2. Multimedia Audio Controller.
I have tried to auto search for them but nothing is found. Not sure where to start looking online.
I have looked for LG drivers online but it is a mine field of dodgey stuff and I'm not sure what to trust.
One last thing - my fan failed about 4 months ago and I press F1 during start up to override the DOS screen. Could my graphics card have over heated and broken hence yellow alerts and default modem display?

I thought I could uninstall the LG monitor, then unplug it and restart computwer and reconnect thinbking it might auto detect it but I cannnot find the monitor listed anywhere to unistall it!

Very long message but not sure how to summarise this one! Your help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
- Sean

northumbria61 23:52 28 Jul 2010

The yellow alerts I take it you are referring to are in Device Manager? Try Right click on the 2 you mention - Properties - Update Driver Software.

northumbria61 23:53 28 Jul 2010

Are you sure that is the correct model you have listed - The LG site (for drivers and software) has no trace of that model. ?

Sean S 23:55 28 Jul 2010

Thanks but already tried that. Seems to look only on A;drive and CD-Rom drives. Message "the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

northumbria61 23:56 28 Jul 2010

This appears to be the nearest - click here

Sean S 23:59 28 Jul 2010

LG site- blimey you're thorough! Yep I 've been there too and you're right but my monitor states the model as : L226WTQS on the back. The product code is L226WTQ- followed by 8 or so random letters.

northumbria61 00:03 29 Jul 2010

"but I cannnot find the monitor listed anywhere to unistall it!"

It should be in Device Manager

northumbria61 00:04 29 Jul 2010

That's probably the one - I would give it a try.

BRYNIT 00:08 29 Jul 2010

Ccleaner should not cause any problems but you could try system restore to a date before you used CCleaner to see if this will correct the problem.

If it was the fan on the graphics card it could have overheated. But it sound like you may have corrupt or missing drivers for the video and sound cards.

I would go to the computer manufactures web site where you should be able to down load the drivers.

You could also down load PC-Wizard click here this will help you identify the components on your computer.

Sean S 00:18 29 Jul 2010

thanks both for help so far. Have downloaded driver for LG monitor as above. Not sure where to put the files though.
Also the monitor is not listed in Device Manager. It's as if CCleaner uninstalled the LG monitor from the computer and now the computer is using it's default grpahics card / monitor settings to display on the LG.
I'm a bit stuck.

northumbria61 00:31 29 Jul 2010

Try a reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?