monitor resolution with vga

vectradam 10:43 22 Dec 2010

i have a hp monitor that outputs 1920 x 1080. it only has a vga input. my graphics card has a dvi, hdmi and vga output. what resolution will i get with the various connections. ive been told i will get 1920 x 1080 with vga to vga but if this is the case why did DVI get developed ? ( i understand dvi is hd video and hdmi is hd audio and video)

many thanks

mgmcc 12:14 22 Dec 2010

VGA is an analog connection whereas DVI is digital.

MarvintheAndroid 21:57 22 Dec 2010

Your VGA output will probably be a bit iffy at full resolution / max framerate, for example when watching a fast paced DVD movie you might get some visual tearing or dropped frames.

I put 2 identical monitors side by side once, off the same graphics card but one DVI and the other VGA. Under those conditions you can see the difference.

DVI has a higher bandwidth (how much depends on which type of DVI cable you use) and is preferred if you have it. You will also tend to get more accurate colour representation too.

Don't panic though, you will probably only notice the difference at the extremes.

woodchip 22:23 22 Dec 2010

No different on what it will get, its just that its a better picture or should be using HDMI on a monitor. Resolution is set by what the card can output at. Not by the Sockets on it

I think that only TV will be able to use the DVI input along with HDMI

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone