monitor resolution too low after reinstall

bruno 18:58 06 May 2005

My friend has a Dell 2400 running XP.Due to another fault we have reinstalled xp as a clean install.When it is finished a dialogue box advises us that the screen resolution is set too low and do we want windows to fix it.Answer ..yes,but nothing happens and we are left with a screen of 300/400 (figures not exact in my brain).I went on to properties and settings but there is only one setting available,which is the low setting,also only 16bit colour available.Followed the troubleshooting advice and went to monitor setting but all the boxes are greyed out.Any suggestions welcome as I have to have another go tomorrow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 06 May 2005

You will need to install the graphics card drivers for your machine Everest Home Edition click here will tell you what is installe so you can get the drivers from the manufacturers web site.

celticbhoy0 19:07 06 May 2005

Probably to do with the graphic card driver, go online and download the latest driver from the graphic chip manufacturers website

bruno 19:31 06 May 2005

Thanks for the replies.That Everest site is excellent,I have downloaded it for my own use.We cannot access the internet yet ,as the modem comes up with"Star Wars cannot run unless the resolution is at least 800/600".I don't know where Star Wars comes into it but it is a BT modem..Broadband.I can get what I can through my site and take it around there.I had a suspicion it could be graphics related and there are a load of discs which came with the computer but they are not labelled all that clearly.I will have to work it out.

bruno 16:56 07 May 2005

Installing the graphics cured the problem.I misunderstood the ticks in the m/b installation disc.I thought they meant they had been installed.I guess they were recommendations.Thanks once again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?