Monitor Resolution Question

Rockarch 14:38 15 Feb 2008

Hello
Hoping for some answers to a couple of questions about monitors.

I recently bought an LCD monitor to connect to as an external monitor to a docking station I use with my laptop. Not knowing enough about it, after buying it I discovered that there is a mismatch between the native resolution of the LCD monitor and what the laptop graphics card can support. The graphics card will only allow 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 and the new LCD is 1024 x 1268. So the picture on the external monitor is not as crisp as the one on the LCD screen on the laptop.

I've been living with it so far but I am going to have to get a new LCD screen for another PC (old one stopped working) so I was wondering about switching things around.
So the questions are:
1. Would I see a crisper picture with an external monitor for my laptop that has the same resolution that the laptop graphics card allows?
2. Any other suggestions for improvement?
3. Any other wisdom to share about buying monitors that are only used for office type uses ie no games

Thanks in advance

crosstrainer 14:47 15 Feb 2008

Are limited in most cases by size and space, and power requirements. Only a high end gaming laptop would support the high resoloutions. A standard 17" lcd with VGA connector would be better than a fancy digital screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?