Monitor Resolution Query

shaduf 21:48 23 Jul 2006

My quest for a 19” monitor was about at an end when I found the Samsung SM203B.
This monitor is a 20” with a resolution of 1400 x 1050. That seems an odd resolution and I am not sure it is suitable for my ATI Radeon 9100 IGP onboard graphics which I believe has a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768.
The price of the monitor is £227 at Laptops Direct and £246 at Dabs and that seems a good price for a 20” monitor. I don’t want to go widescreen as I don’t use the computer for DVDs. My main interest is home video editing, photography and of course some word processing etc. I never play games but will stare at a photo for ever!

I assume my present maximum is 1024 x 768 because that’s all I can go to on the XP Display settings page but is that limited by my present monitor (Philips 17”). Any guidance on the resolution issue would be greatly appreciated.

Shaduf

ade.h 22:54 23 Jul 2006

What you currently have access to is typically limited by the monitor in order to prevent you from selecting and applying an untenable screen setting which you may have great difficulty in undoing.

That said, it is still important to check what combinations of pixel measurements a graphics chipset will support - widescreen ratios and unusual combinations are not universally supported.

DieSse 00:14 24 Jul 2006

I'm absolutely certain your graphics chip will go higher than 1024x768, and probably above even 1400x1050 - as ade.h says, it's your current monitor that's limiting it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?