Monitor refresh rate

flobby 16:06 18 Mar 2003

Hi All,
I have just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and now when I use the scroll down or up; the screen has ( it seems ) to have to refresh itself instead of just moving up or down. I have tried changing the resolution to 800x600 but all my pages are off centre to the left and it still seems to refresh instead of scrolling. I am now using 1024 by 768 pixels and colour quality highest [32 bit].
Cheers, Flobby

Taurus 16:20 18 Mar 2003

Hi flobby, sounds to me more like a processor or memory problem than one with your monitor refresh rate. Inadequate refresh rates manifest as a constant flickering on the screen rather than the 'stuttering' I think you are refering to.

The most likely problem is your processor is having to 'catch-up'. XP pro has lots of processes running in the background. Just press Cntr-Alt-Del and clicking the processes tag and you can see just how many. In addition, as the OS is writing and reading to and from the hard disk and/or CD, this too uses processor power. If you are unhappy closing processes, and you should be as some are essential to windows, I would suggest downloading a copy of 'TweakXP' from the net and getting that to tweak your settings for you.

Hope this helps.

Dave

cheapskate2k 18:21 18 Mar 2003

He was running XP home before so is XP pro really going to make all that difference. Is the performance ok apart from that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?