Monitor questions

newearwax 09:51 13 Feb 2010

Currently I have a LG1710 17" 4:3 ratio monitor and am not sure what size 16:9 I will need to get a display that outputs a similarly sized image in the vertical plane. I would not want anything that output smaller due to elderly sight.

I see that many (most) larger monitors are HD, but it's unlikely I shall use any HD source. Are non HD larger sized units available? Even if they were, would I be still better off with a HD unit, or worse?

howard64 11:41 13 Feb 2010

you are stuck with what the market are selling with regard to HD. The hd simply means it is a decent quality but with monitors it will pay you to go and look at different ones on display in somewhere like pc world and see which picture you prefer. I bought a replacement for my old 19" monitor it is a 19" widescreen lcd model. This uses the 16:9 ratio and gives the same height as my original monitor but is considerably wider.

hastelloy 15:35 13 Feb 2010

I'd go for the biggest you can afford and comfortably have space for. My preference is Samsung and it pays to shop around click here, though I personally would not buy from Pixmania, but ebuyer and Misco are both excellent companies. As howard64 says, go and have a look at some but don't let the larger models on show make you think that the smaller ones are very small (they look smaller in the shop).

BRYNIT 15:45 13 Feb 2010

As the screen is measured across the diagonal, the easiest way would be to measure from top to bottom of your screen go into a shop and see which is the closed to your measurement.

newearwax 17:34 13 Feb 2010

Apart from habing to accomodate their size, is there a downside to using larger screens? What's the quality of computer builders# (e.g. Dell) own branded displays?

howard64 17:46 13 Feb 2010

Basically badged models - you really have to look at the specifications - time to display mseconds the type of illumination the latest use led backlights but expensive - can the position of the screen be adjusted or must you perhaps sit on a cushion etc. Length of warranty most are 3 years swap out. How many dead pixels before considered faulty etc., etc., I still say either you just take a chance or go and look at the displays. Do you perhaps have a friend with a new monitor that you could go and look at. As for size I am now on varifocals and as far as I am concerned the bigger the better as long as I can physically accomodate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone