MONITOR PROMBLEM

billboy 11:05 25 Jul 2006

ON TRYING TO PLAY GAMES I HAVE REINSTALLED AFTER RELOADING MY OS I FIND THAT SOME GAMES SHOW AS OUT OF RANGE ON THE MONITOR ALTHOUGH THE GAMES SEEM TO BE RUNNING AS IF I TRY TO START THEM AGAIN THEY STATE YOU CANNOT RUN 2 COPYS AT ONCE CAN ANY ONE HELP

SANTOS7 12:09 25 Jul 2006

Hey billboy, first thing to do matey is turn your capslock off, it would deem you are shouting posting in capitals.
if you have two copies you will need to uninstall one of them first.
"out of range" suggests your screen resolution is set to high for the game specs, adjust them to suit
the game you are playing...

Diemmess 13:42 25 Jul 2006

I assume you have done a reintallation of your OS and reinstalled the games. Once they ran, now some don't?
This may be freezing the display and game. The game continues to run in the background and because you don't see it, you run it again which will bring the message about not running 2 at once.
If you want to quit the game because it has stalled, hit Control+ Alt+ Del all together. This will end the task/game.

To get things going -
You could start by removing and reinstalling the drivers for your video card which may not be working properly since the reinstalled OS.
For more help, post back here with a few more details of the situation.

billboy 11:22 27 Jul 2006

diemmess thank you for your help but i have tried what you suggested but am still unable to get the games to work .do you think i would need a newer grafics card my rpresent card is a geforce fx 5200 as i am a 78yr old pensioner i would need the cheapest alternative

Diemmess 11:45 27 Jul 2006

Sorry that didn't work.
Before you rush out and spend lots of money lets try and find out what the basic problem is.
Knowing more things about your system might help with answers.

1) Are these awkward games new ones, or did they work on your computer before this?

2) You say you have reloaded your OS.
Do you mean you "repaired" the system, or started from scratch with with a clean HD and a full new installation?

3) Can you say what OS you are using and what basic stuff you know of your computer, like the Processor name or speed, and how much RAM you have. Does your present Hard Disk still have a few Gbs space on it?

billboy 11:51 28 Jul 2006

THE GAMES ARE OLD GAMES THAT I HAVE USED BEFORE .I DONE A COMPLETE RELOAD OF MY OS .WINDOWS XP HOME MY HARD DISK IS ONLY 10% FULL.I HAVE 512 MEMORY CACHE SECONDARY.I HAVE 128 PRIMARY CACHE I ALSO HAVE SERVICE PACK 2 INSTALLED I USE NTFS.DOES THIS INFORMATION HELP .
ALSO MY PROCESSER IS 2.10GIG AMD ATHLON XP CIRCUIT BOARD IS GIGABYTE TECH 7VT600-P-RZ

Diemmess 13:19 28 Jul 2006

It is easier to read if you do!
you seem to have a very reasonable spec for your needs.
The problem must be software.
It all ran once upon a time.

Your Nvidia card should be OK but the drivers may not be installed correctly as they are now.
Look in control panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager at Display adapters.

If there is a yellow ! then remove and reinstall the Nvidia drivers from their CD.

If you can't find those drivers, download from the net. click here

billboy 14:55 29 Jul 2006

hi deammess i have checked for yellow and there are none i have also checked my monitor and graphics card and they both show wowking correct with no problems so it seems i will have to give up without solving the problem. thanks for your help . i will still check mt emails in case a way of solving the problem does turn up.regards bill.

Diemmess 15:42 29 Jul 2006

Don't give up on this one, the errors you are getting shows something is slightly wrong with your present configuration.
Use this forum - not email, that way not only does everyone have a chance to see & learn what the solution is, but others may join in and give you the right advice.

A couple of things:-

1) Windows in any version can sometimes SAY a device is working properly, even when it is obvious that it is not. If you don't have the right video installation CD goto click here and download the right one (GeForce and TNT) for Win XP. Then Go ban=ck to Controlpanel >> display and "update drivers"

2) This may be a virtual memory thing. I'm uncertain about this, but see Windows Help and put pagefile.sys in to that index and follow what it says there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone