Monitor problems? or Graphics card ?

geedad 13:06 15 Jul 2006

I have a 6yr. old 17" Belnea CRT and I am wondering if I need a new one or a new graphics card (ATI RADEON 9200 - nearly 3 yrs old )
The problem I am experiencing is that when I play a DVD the colurs seem lurid and bright. I have tested the same DVD on my DVD player and all seems normal. So can anyone advise me whether it is the CRT or the Graphics card?
Or ...........whatever!
This is difficult to explain because members can't see the monitor but it is as if the colours all blend very brightly ( as with over-exposure of a colour film)
geedad

john-232317 13:09 15 Jul 2006

The only way is to try the monitor on another pc and see if you get the same problem.

Chris147 14:09 15 Jul 2006

If the brightness only occurs when you're playing a DVD, it's unlikely to be the monitor.

The most obvious culprit is the DVD player software you're using, try updating to a newer version (there are plenty of free ones about).

It could be the graphics card, but again this is unlikely. Check out the Radeon website and see if there is an updated driver available for your card. Even if there isn't, delete and reinstall the driver you do have.

The last thing to look at is the DVD drive itself. Restore/replace the driver if the above hasn't helped.

HTH

Chris.

geedad 15:35 15 Jul 2006

dadyassa and Chris147.
Thanks for the info.
Brightness occurs also when Games are played, such as Motocross Madness ( not by me, of course, but by my grandson)!!
DVD players that I use are RealPlayer, Intervideo WinDVD5.
However, I will check the ATI Website for an update. Deleting and reinstalling - am I right in thinking that I delete from Device Manager - then switch PC off - then on again and it reinstalls itself?
I have a Sony drive, will try to update etc that also.
Many many thanks to you both.
geedad

Chris147 18:41 15 Jul 2006

Sorry for the late reply.

That's one way of replacing the Driver (make sure you actually select the one you want rather than letting Windows choose), you can also right-click on the device in Device Manager and replace the driver from there without having to reboot (usually).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone