Monitor problems

wesparmalee 14:06 08 May 2006

I hope someone can help me with this one.I'm having all sort of problems with the monitor, as it keep shutting down.I first noticed this a few weeks ago after seeing a slight flickering on the screen, also a slight dimming as well.Sometimes this effect goes away, but lately the monitor goes totally blank.The pc remains on, and if i'm listening to a web broadcast, i can still hear that, so i don't think it's related to the pc itself.If i turn the monitor off, and then on again, it still remains blank.The only thing that cures it is to unplug it from the wall, and then plug it back again.Any ideas as to what could be causing this?Thanks.

johndrew 14:12 08 May 2006

What sort of monitor is it? TFT or CRT?

Detail of the age, size and manufacturer would also be of help.

Jaro 14:17 08 May 2006

TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE FOLTY MONITOR. IF ITS STILL UNDER WARENTEE JUST TAKE IT BACK TO THE SELLER.

PS: DID YOU TRIED TO PLAG IT TO DIFERENT SOCKET??TRY THAT.

wesparmalee 14:18 08 May 2006

The monitor is a couple of years old, and it's CRT type.

Ex plorer 14:42 08 May 2006

I am having the same problem but i am putting it down to the PC.
I switch the PC off at the back and then on again and switch the PC on again.
The PC runs for about Two hours before the screen goes blank.
Make sure every thing is plugged in tight and no strain on leads.
Check the plug, swap a monitor with some one and see how it goes.

wesparmalee 14:47 08 May 2006

I thought it was a pc problem as well, but having gone through all kinds of checks etc, i'm pretty sure it's the monitor itself.Will try what you suggest too.Thanks.

rmcqua 14:53 08 May 2006

This sounds to me like an intermittent fault in the monitor. CRT monitors are particularly susceptible to intermittents that show up only when the monitor has been switched on for some time, due to heating effects. Try the monitor's VGA connector for loose connections; other than that your chances of finding a cure are, I think, a bit slim.

johndrew 15:00 08 May 2006

I agree with rmcqua, the symptoms are similar to those I`ve experienced in the past. You could try taking the back off (COMPLETELY DISCONNECT THE MONITOR FROM MAINS & PC FIRST) clean it out with a soft brush and vacuum cleaner and check for bad/loose connections/overheating. If that doesn`t help then it`s either the TV repair man or a new monitor.

wesparmalee 15:10 08 May 2006

I will give all these suggestions a try, thanks for the advise.

pompyx 16:30 08 May 2006

Please be aware there are very high voltages inside the monitor, some can take days to dissipate.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?