Monitor Problem - vertical lines

Newbolt 17:53 22 Mar 2009

I am trying to use a flat panel monitor from my daughters defunct desktop system. It was working perfectly, but when connected to my desktop now only shows vertical coloured lines. The existing crt monitor works prefectly. The flat panel was bought Dec 2007 from Maplins - a BLE H H17A manufactured by Hyundai. Any suggestions, please?

woodchip 22:13 22 Mar 2009

Try starting in Safe Mode then change the Monitor Settings for Flat Panel

MAJ 22:18 22 Mar 2009

And check that you haven't accidently bent any pins in the monitor cable when attaching it to your PC.

Newbolt 09:32 23 Mar 2009

Thanks for these two suggestions woodchip and MAJ. Will try later today and post again.

Newbolt 10:53 23 Mar 2009

All pins unbent, happily. Have tried starting in safe mode, but not sure how to find the means of resetting the monitor settings for a flat screen. Would appreciate a lttle further info, please. There is an option 'Use hardware default settings' but nothing else in the drop down.

canarieslover 11:11 23 Mar 2009

Right click on desktop. Click - Display Settings. Cick - Advanced settings. You should then find Monitor Settings that allow you to change refresh rate to 60 Hertz. That is what you require for an LCD monitor. You may also have to change resolution to get the best results.

Stuartli 11:47 23 Mar 2009

If you follow canarieslover's initial advice via the Settings tab>Advanced button, click on the Adapter tab and then the List All Modes button.

This will bring up a listing of all the colour/resolution/refresh combinations your graphics card or onboard graphics chipset will support.

You need to find out the native resolution for your TFT monitor and highlight this in the listing, along with the 60MHz refresh rate and colour requirement and then OK. Choose Not to Restart Windows after such a change is made.

Some help with native resolutions:

click here

click here

Stuartli 11:48 23 Mar 2009

Your model number appears to indicate a 17in TFT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?