Monitor Problem - screen shifts to the left during

mmack 10:03 11 Jun 2005

As above the screen does this ,sometimes often , sometimes seldom during use...I have recently moved house and it has only started happening since i've set up the pc .It's simple but a pain to re-align the screen.
Any ideas, or is it down to the shops to buy a new one?

DieSse 11:10 11 Jun 2005

Assuming it's a CRT monitor! - instead of resetting the monitor, try "whacking" it with the flat of your hand in various places - sides - top - back.

If it jumps back, or jumps about, then there is a problem internally in the monitor - usually it's as cheap to get a new monitor as to try and get it fixed.

Also undo the connection cable, and push it in and out of the socket a couple of times - do not overtighten the thumbscrews.

Arnie 18:01 11 Jun 2005

mmack
As DieSse said: "Assuming it's a CRT monitor".

Follow the instructions given by DieSse.

If the picture jerks back and forth across the screen as mentioned, it’s most likely a line scan fault.

For example, a dry joint on any part of the line scan circuitry. Unless you have the technical knowledge to inspect and look for possible track fractures/bad soldered joints etc, it's not worth paying for a repair.

CRT monitors can be bought cheaply for under £100, including a 3 year warranty.

mmack 20:24 11 Jun 2005

It is a CRT, and I'll give those tips a try - I'll hopefully scrape together the cash for a flat screen anyway, thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?