monitor problem

cab1 11:53 02 Feb 2008

I have to switch my monitor on and off around 20 times before the display stays on the screen. The welcome screen stays on for a second then goes black. When it eventually comes on it stays on and there is no further problem till I switch off the computer. I have tried leaving the screen switched on when switching off the tower, but get the same effect when I switch the computer back on.

Any clues as to what the problem might be?

MAT ALAN 11:59 02 Feb 2008

Fair test to eliminate the possibility of a faulty monitor would be to try another one, if it does the same, could be lose cable..

cab1 12:03 02 Feb 2008

Thanks for your response Mat, but I had already checked to see if the cables were firmly fixed before mailing.

MAT ALAN 12:04 02 Feb 2008

plan A methinks but i fear the worst...

Gongoozler 16:47 02 Feb 2008

Probably the monitor has reached the end of it's life, but you could try your test the other way round. Turn the computer on, and change the power setting (Control Panel - Power Options) to never turn off the monitor. Leave the computer on and turn off the monitor for a time - say 30 minutes so that it cools down. Try to turn the monitor. If it is faulty, I would expect it to need the repeated on and off cycles again. If so, it can't be the computer because that hasn't changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?