Monitor problem?

Thurrafork 17:05 13 Oct 2006

I have a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 CRT monitor that I got with a system back in 2002.
For the last couple of days there has been an intermittent, quiet buzzing sound accompanied by a faint, monitor spanning band of thin lines around .5 cm thick, which scan up or down the screen - always at the time of the buzz.
I suppose this is just the slow onset of old age for my monitor, but I'm hoping someone is familiar with this effect and its simply a case of tightening an internal cable or pressing a loose transistor into place.
Any ideas? Or is my monitor about to explode?
Thanks

rodriguez 17:10 13 Oct 2006

Firstly, it probably is wearing out and secondly, I wouldn't recommend repairing it yourself because it's too dangerous. CRT devices such as TV sets and computer monitors store huge amounts of electricity in capacitors to power the tube, which can kill instantly if you accidentally touch it. The tube also gives off radiation which can be dangerous. If you can get it repaired by an engineer, do that but it might work out cheaper to buy a new one.

User-312386 17:12 13 Oct 2006

have you got a degauss option on the monitor?

If so do it

Thurrafork 17:19 13 Oct 2006

Hmm..
Well this is peculiar. I turned the monitor off and unplugged it, and I still heard the noise coming from the speakers. I have since tried both seperately and they are both making the same quiet intermittent buzzing. This happens even with the computer turned off and unplugged. So maybe problem is with my houses power supply? I'm going to try another wall socket.

Thurrafork 18:43 13 Oct 2006

Very strange!
Just the monitor plugged in (even if not turned on): I hear this noise coming from the monitor.
Just the speakers plugged in: I hear the noise coming from the speakers.
Even with just the computer on - I hear the noise coming from the computer(very quietly).
I've tried using different extension leads, different plug sockets in the house, upstairs and downstairs. It makes no difference.
I just tried listening to the downstairs TV which is off but plugged in. That too is making this sound!
I went out and bought a surge protector assuming that the power from the sockets is a bit fluxy, still the problem persists!
What do you think? Is this a problem with the house power supply? Is it a powergrid thing?
I'm really not sure what to do!

Thurrafork 21:12 13 Oct 2006

Rodriguez and Madboy33, thanks for your replies, but the problem seems to be bigger than originally thought.
Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?