Monitor plug replacement

m800afc 05:48 06 Dec 2006

Last year some kind thief stole my computer. They did not disconnect the leads, they just cut them. t
The other day it occured to me that I could use the monitor as a second screen. How easy/hard is it to replace the multi D socket that plugs into the back of the computer? It is a 40cm monitor and maybe worth a try. How much would it cost to repair, and would it make economic sense compared to the cost of s/h monitors. My main monitor is an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 (46cm)

terryf 06:13 06 Dec 2006

google for monitor cable

m800afc 06:52 06 Dec 2006

The existing cable is hard wired to the comuter, so simply buying a cable is not an option. I need to have a Dplug put on the cut end of the existing cable.

birdface 16:20 06 Dec 2006

If you can get a replacement cable from manufacturer,Take note of what colour cable cable goes where, Unsolder and resolder new cable in position,I know that there will be a lot of wires to solder, But it would make the best connection,

skeletal 16:43 06 Dec 2006

It depends on how good you are at soldering! I have to say that multipole plugs are not the best thing to start with if you’ve not done any soldering before (which is my assumption otherwise you would not be asking the question!).

If you want to learn a new skill, I would practice soldering on other stuff first.

Things you are likely to “get wrong” are:
Leaving the iron on so long it melts the insulation of the wire, and even the plug. Leave some time to cool between each wire;

Not long enough so you get a dry joint (a joint that, at first glance looks OK, but will fail sooner or later. More detailed examination will show it has a duller “granular” finish; a good joint is smooth and shiny. For a dry joint, the solder will tend to form a “ball” a bit like water on a polished surface. A good joint flows outwards.);

Having a single strand un-soldered. This is very likely to short to another contact.

If it is a standard plug, you should be able to get one from places like Maplin click here

Typically, you will need the plug itself, and an outer “shroud”. Make sure you work out whether you need male (plug) or female (socket).

Sorry if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick and given a large answer to the wrong question!

Skeletal

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 06 Dec 2006

any thing here help click here ?

wee eddie 17:46 06 Dec 2006

So long as your solder includes Flux (most do these days.

However there is a cheaper way. Not elegant but simple. Buy one of those Connector Strips (click here)(probably available at your local Electrical or Tradesman's Wholesaler), match the colour and tighten the screw. For added security, wrap the whole joint in insulating tape.

Diemmess 18:05 06 Dec 2006

If you are uncertain of your ability to do this?

No one has yet mentioned a local computer shop or retailer of TV and other gear.
If you are lucky, you will have a tame dealer who genuinely does repairs to reluctant things. He should be able to replace the cable for some reasonable folding money.

Sensible cost will depend on how well you get on with the place, and that is a matter you can best decide.

Pidder 18:20 06 Dec 2006

No one has mentioned the risk from static when soldering, with an electric iron, to items containing microprocessors, which I am sure the monitor will contain. What precautions should be taken? Anyone else advise?

Steve- 18:21 06 Dec 2006

Try this, click here , if the link has timed out go to the Radiospares web site and search for Field Termination.

howard64 20:58 06 Dec 2006

have you looked inside your monitor by taking the back off? Some monitors have a cable clamp inside and a plug socket arrangement. If yours has this a vga replacement cables is only about £5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?